+ Reply to Thread
    Randy R

Yes | No

Front-end shimmy at around 50 mph

I have upgraded to 16 inch rims from the standard TRX on my 89 635. Since the change I have had a front end shimmy that occurs only around 50 mph. There was no shimmy with the original wheels.<p>I had the wheels rebalanced and achieved only a slight improvement. The previous owner had some of the front end components replaced (I'm not sure what) and the car has 45,000 miles on it.<p>Do I need an alignment because of the change in wheels or could there be another problem? <p>Thanks.

Ed Resh

Yes | No

Re: Front-end shimmy at around 50 mph

<i>Randy, usually changing out a set of wheels and tires would not necessatite a front end alignment, If the wheels were new and good brand then I would suspect tire balance, sometimes the tires and wheels need the be spun balanced and may even need to be shaved to achieve a smooth ride. If the wheels were used or a bargain brand then It may be the wheel. The only thing that was changed since the last time the car did not have a shimmy was your tires and wheels. I'd look there first, good luck let me know what solves your shimmy ED<br>I have upgraded to 16 inch rims from the standard TRX on my 89 635. Since the change I have had a front end shimmy that occurs only around 50 mph. There was no shimmy with the original wheels.<p>I had the wheels rebalanced and achieved only a slight improvement. The previous owner had some of the front end components replaced (I'm not sure what) and the car has 45,000 miles on it.<p>Do I need an alignment because of the change in wheels or could there be another problem? <p>Thanks.<p></i><br>

BAT

Yes | No

<i><br>I have upgraded to 16 inch rims from the standard TRX on my 89 635. Since the change I have had a front end shimmy that occurs only around 50 mph. There was no shimmy with the original wheels.<p>I had the wheels rebalanced and achieved only a slight improvement. The previous owner had some of the front end components replaced (I'm not sure what) and the car has 45,000 miles on it.<p>Make sure the nuts on the control arms are nice and snug. <p>Do I need an alignment because of the change in wheels or could there be another problem? <p>Thanks.<p></i><br>

BAT

Yes | No

<i>Make sure the nuts on the control arms are nice and snug.<p><p><p>><br>

Johnny

Yes | No

Randy,<br>I had the same problem while braking and accelerating with my 89 E24. I solved the problem by installing 750 upper control arm bushings. If you experience it only when applying the brakes, you might have warped rotors, but it sounds like you did not have that before. I would try the 750 bushings because the slightly larger rims/tires can affect the front end of our cars in strange ways.<br>Good Luck<br><i><br>I have upgraded to 16 inch rims from the standard TRX on my 89 635. Since the change I have had a front end shimmy that occurs only around 50 mph. There was no shimmy with the original wheels.<p>I had the wheels rebalanced and achieved only a slight improvement. The previous owner had some of the front end components replaced (I'm not sure what) and the car has 45,000 miles on it.<p>Do I need an alignment because of the change in wheels or could there be another problem? <p>Thanks.<p></i><br>

Stu '87 M6

Yes | No

<br>Agree with possible causes noted below.<p>Another item to check is that the new wheels are the correct hub centric dimension. If they are mounted off-centre, could cause an unbalance even though the rim and tire are properly balanced when off the car. Fix is to get adapter rings to centre the rim on the hub.<p>Stu <p><i><br>I have upgraded to 16 inch rims from the standard TRX on my 89 635. Since the change I have had a front end shimmy that occurs only around 50 mph. There was no shimmy with the original wheels.<p>I had the wheels rebalanced and achieved only a slight improvement. The previous owner had some of the front end components replaced (I'm not sure what) and the car has 45,000 miles on it.<p>Do I need an alignment because of the change in wheels or could there be another problem? <p>Thanks.<p></i><br>

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information