+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 119369 JamaicaWI is an unknown quantity at this point JamaicaWI's Avatar

Yes | No

Advice on a repaint....change color??

We have a couple 2002's. My wife's green low-mile 74 I had repainted original BUT my own '1970 which was original dark blue has some mods as to 5 speed and different seats and no bumpers. I don't plan on selling for awhile but must consider down the road when that happens.
    I thought I wanted to paint it a nice silver, the tasteful interior is grey cloth and planned to make some small nerf type bumpers in Stainless Steel until I could find a pair of original bumpers. But my painter who does high end paint work really want to paint it back to original color as the engine compartment, etc still has paint that cleans up OK. The car will probably never be original or concourse but how much value difference do you think there is between a quality paint job in Silver or a same quality in the original Blue?

Anyone suggest where I could find some 70 style bumpers??
    Anyone want a 6 series, an E-24??
    I have too many of them and would gladly trade for a 2002!!

old 6 series BMW's

would really appreciate som input here.
    You'll probably see me post here more as this project is now on the front burner!!

Helluvadeal, Frosty

Registered Member
    Member No: 13082 ariz02 is an unknown quantity at this point ariz02's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Advice on a repaint....change color??

Dont know about resale value of color change. The bad part would be seeing a different color in the door jams, trunk & under the hood.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119369 JamaicaWI is an unknown quantity at this point JamaicaWI's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Advice on a repaint....change color??

The trunk and door jams will be easy to change color but under hood would be major challenge and time consuming to do properly BUT like you I would hate to see that different color anywhere. Might just buy a quart of that Original Blue and do a Fender or 2 .... see if we like it and then see about some Silver stripes or something since it isn't going to have bumpers anyway.... at least not until I can find a couple! It has been a back burner project for 5 or 6 years and just recently got it road worthy with the 5 speed and good cooling and carb. Probably be a late summer/fall paint job, so I have time to change direction at least twice!!

Let me know if anyone can direct me to any stock bumpers!!

Thanks, Frosty

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm thinking the best opinion is to never

change the color of a car with a paint job unless it's a rattletrap, or you're doing a from the ground up strip job.
    Anything in between will be unpleasant.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information