+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 60304 bucfan is an unknown quantity at this point bucfan's Avatar

Yes | No

Battery warranty question

I have a leased 2006 650i with 16,500 miles now 25 months into the lease. Recently my battery went dead and I took the car into the dealer for this. Given that the car is under full warranty I thought the battery would be replaced for free. I was surprised to learn when the dealer told me that the battery is not covered because I did not have enough miles on the car and according to them I should have at-least 24,000 miles to allow for a warranty replacement. I ended up paying close to $400 for the battery and labor which I thought was a rip off but had no choice. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what recourse do I have?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Battery warranty question

I find this utterly bogus. A good friend with a 645 CiC (older than yours) and with LESS miles than you have (less than 10k) had battery replaced while on a trip with me up in North Carolina. He was away from home in Mississippi so paid then but got refunded under warranty when he got home.

Here is bulletin on DEAD Batteries. Use this to get your refund!!!!!!

SI B 61 13 05
    General Electrical Systems May 2008
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B61 13 05 dated May 2008.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Dead Battery - Energy Diagnosis Must Be Performed

MODEL
    E82, E88 (1 Series)

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)

E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series

E65, E66 (7 Series) from 3/2004 vehicle production

E70 (X5)

E71 (X6)

SITUATION
    The electrical system of BMW vehicles has been subject to an ongoing development process over the last few years. This has led to increased demands being placed on the battery. This document covers important information for the dealer on how to handle "dead battery" complaints.

A dead battery can have various causes, most of which do not concern the battery itself. A failed battery is often the symptom and not the cause. A fully serviceable battery fails because it becomes discharged. For more information, refer to www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-42B.htm. For this reason, replacing the battery is not usually a permanent repair. The cause of the dead battery must be analyzed in order to guarantee a proper repair.

Only use the latest diagnostic software when diagnosing dead battery complaints.

For this reason, "Energy Diagnosis" must be performed on all dead battery complaints. At the conclusion of the "Energy Diagnosis" test plan, a diagnostic code will be generated.

This code must be included in the "Comments" section when submitting the warranty claim.Failure to quote the diagnostic code in the comments of the warranty claim may result in a delay in processing or refusal of the warranty claim.

In some cases, the "Energy Diagnosis" test plan stops before the results screen can be displayed. This error is corrected with the release of DIS V53.

The two exceptions to the rule are:

* Battery damage and leakage

* Use of mobile service and battery replacement to restore customer drivability as soon as possible. In the case of a battery replacement during a roadside repair, a subsequent service appointment needs to be scheduled for the customer in order to perform an energy diagnosis to locate and address the cause of the battery failure, as well as to register the replacement battery.

CAUSE
    Refer to the "Procedure" section of this service information for details.

PROCEDURE
    1. Fault analysis (Energy Diagnosis)

There are currently two paths to access the energy diagnosis test plan:

* If a power management fault is stored, the DIS will select the energy diagnosis test plan automatically.

* The test plan can also be selected manually: "Function selection>Complete vehicle>Body>Power supply>Energy diagnosis>Execute energy diagnosis>Test plan".

Note: The vehicle must have had a dead battery before Energy Diagnosis can be performed. Also, fault codes must not be deleted.

Once the test plan has finished, the "Most Likely Causes" are automatically displayed if any are calculated by the test plan (new with DIS V53). Finish the test plan by processing all the "Most Likely Causes" starting from [1]. If no "Most Likely Causes" are calculated, the results screen will be displayed: "Most Likely Cause (0)".

Possible causes are:

Vehicle fault

* Battery fault/alternator fault

* Vehicle is not entering sleep mode

* Vehicle is constantly awoken from sleep mode

* Closed-circuit current is too high

* Exhaustive battery charge (for information only).

* Terminal 30g-f shutdown due to start capability limit (for information only).

* Undetermined

Operating fault

If one of the causes shown below is displayed in "Most Likely Cause", this is not considered a factory defect and a warranty claim should not be submitted, even though a diagnostic code is generated at the end of the test plan.

* Lights/hazard warning lamps left on for too long

* Terminal R/15 left on for too long

Except for the vehicles listed below, the fault is set when the engine is off and terminal 15/R is left on for more than 30 minutes, and the power supply drops below 11.5 volts for at least 2 minutes. The amount of time that terminal 15/R is left on is accurate.

For the following vehicles, this fault is not reliable and should not be considered a customer error:

. * E65 and E66 (7 Series)

. * E90, E91, and E92 (3 Series) prior to 3/07

. * E60 and E61 (5 Series), vehicle integration level prior to E060-07-09-500

. * E63 and E64 (6 Series), vehicle integration level prior to E060-07-09-500

. * E70 (X5) prior to 3/07

* Unfavorable driving profile (e.g., extremely short distances)

* Vehicle parked for too long

A functional description of Energy Diagnosis and terminal control, together with troubleshooting information, can be found in the Energy Diagnosis test module.

2. Closed circuit current measurement

Refer to SI B61 08 00, Closed Circuit Current Measurement, for the procedure and troubleshooting hints.

Refer to the DIS/GT1 functional description for further information. Use the following path to access this information:

* All except E65 and E66: Complete vehicle>Drive>Voltage and current control>Voltage and current supply>Off-load current measurement.

* E65 and E66: Complete vehicle>Body>Power supply>Closed-circuit current performance>Closed-circuit current diagnosis.

3. Checking the charging system

Refer to SI B04 25 02 for information on how to test the charging system.

4. Checking the battery condition

Refer to SI B04 25 02 for information on how to test the battery.

Refer to the DIS/GT1 functional description for further information. Use the following path to access this information:

* All except E65 and E66: Complete vehicle>Drive>Voltage and current control>Voltage and current generation

* E65 and E66: Complete vehicle>Body>Power supply>Alternator

5. New battery registration

Registration of the new battery is necessary, using the DIS/GT1 service function. If the new battery is not registered, erroneous messages (check control) may appear.

Use the following path the register the new battery: "Function selection>Service functions>Body>Power supply>Battery>Register battery change>Test plan". Follow the test plan instructions.

If a new battery is installed, the "Energy Diagnosis" test plan should be completed prior to registering the new battery. When the battery is registered, the stored energy history is deleted. This may cause the vehicle to return if the root cause of the dead battery is not determined.

6. Recharging the battery

Refer to SI B04 11 02 for information on how to recharge the battery.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
    61 21 07 59 00

Labor Operation:
    Labor Allowance:
    Description:
    Refer to KSD*
    Refer to KSD
    Refer to KSD
    *Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

Good to know. I just copy and pasted your info in my email for future reference just incase I run into this issue!! Thanks!!

2008 BMW 135I Alpine White Coupe: Black Leatherette, dark birch wood trim, Sport Package, Automatic w/ paddle shifters, Navigation, Heated Seats, and USB iPod adapter.
    2008 BMW 650I Alpine White Cabrio: Saddle Brown Pearl Leather, Maple Wood Trim, Sport, Cold, Premium Sound Package, HUD, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Active Stearing, Lane Departure Warning, and High Beam Assist.

Registered Member
    Member No: 98482 bmwtech2003 is an unknown quantity at this point bmwtech2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Having the TSB is good if you are a tech but without the GT1 useless for a customer. It all depends on the diag code generated by the tester. You also have to have driven the car a reasonable amount. Keep in mind that the car has a history of how many recent trips the car has taken and the mileage of those trips. If you drive 5 miles a day for 2 weeks and the battery fails then it will not be covered. The battery doesn't have enough miles to recharge the battery for the 50+ amp draw it has to start the car much less the 50ma draw the car has at all times. If you drive a lot of short trips or don't drive the car often then purchase a trickle charger from your dealer. Keep the receipt or repair order to prove you bought it. If you battery fails and you have used a charger then warranty will view it differently. Also, you need to use the charging posts under the hood, not the charging socket adapter.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60304 bucfan is an unknown quantity at this point bucfan's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the information. I contacted BMW USA by email and they gave me the same bogus spill in response about the low mileage and how the vehicle needs to run a certain number of miles to charge. I will now write them a letter with your information attached. Hope this gets their attention.

Registered Member
    Member No: 108602 sachristman is an unknown quantity at this point sachristman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Battery warranty question - non-OEM

TSB says new battery needs to be 'registered' with the car computer. If new battery is put in by non-BMW shop without this registration, what problems can arise? Any diea on how much time ($$$) would it take for BMW to do it afterwards?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Way I read the notice is it needs to be registered if it is different specs that the one you replaced. I believe it needs to know this so it can properly charge at the correct rate. But I will probably find out more on Monday as I have been going through some major electrical issues and have recently replaced battery.

Exide is the current OEM provider of batteries to BMW and they show three different electrical ratings and all three are different in physical dimensions too.

I had the 850CCA/110AH battery in a MY05. Excide listed that battery for MY04 only and indicated smaller batteries for MY05 (a 650CCA) and then went back up for MY06/07 (720CCA). I got a replacement that was smaller - 650CCA from a psrts store and it was also physically smaller. Within 3 days I had replaced it with the identical electrical and physical specs that was in my car but still not a "BMW" battery. About three weeks later I started having problems. Related - I don't know.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 108602 sachristman is an unknown quantity at this point sachristman's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, (past warranty) had battery replaced (very weak, not dead yet) by BMW dealer - $200 for battery (Exide), and get this $150 to 'reprogram' the computer. This is either a major ripoff (if a reset, etc.) or a very bad design (if major reprogram of computer is required for a battery replacement). Either way, does not reflect well on BMW. What's next: replace spark plugs for $100 and reprogram for another $150?? May be time to stop using BMW Service...

Registered Member

Yes | No

We have not discussed this much here, but the concensus is if you replace with EXACT battery you removed this is not a necessary action. However, if not exactly the same the reprogramming sets up the recharging and other details for a different CCA, running amps, etc.

Several cases of DIY with like replacement and no recoding/reprogramming necessary, but then a few did not get exact replacement and found after a period of time some issues related to battery.

It's unfortunate it generally is not something they let you know in advance so you can tell them NO if given a chance.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 173101 marchrick is an unknown quantity at this point marchrick's Avatar

Yes | No

I am going through this right now! I have a 2006 650i with 28,000 miles on it an dthe dealer is saying that my car doesnt have enough miles to cover it under the warantee! He is telling me that the car should be driven a minimum of 10,000 miles per year. This is insane.. my dealer is in las vegas and I wil not pay for the battery. He's going to have a fight on his hand.

Registered Member

Yes | No

BS on the dealer. They cannot dictate minimum or how you obtain the miles. You could do 10,000 miles and do more harm than someone doing 5,000 miles based on how you drive. A lotof short trips is worse than less but longer trips.

Friend of mine had far less average miles on MY05 (16k total). His dealer started with same story but ended up doing the right thing.

Good luck
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 51393 koorosh is an unknown quantity at this point koorosh's Avatar

Yes | No

They should replace your battery free of charge

They should replace your battery free of charge, full warranty and maintnance covers everything except for tires, oil consumption, Gas, insurance, adding coolant, windshield washer fluid, gas additives.

Talk to the BMW dealership's service manager and then take it up to their General manager and then the BMW of North America customer relations at 1-800-831-1117.

I work for BMW and the battery is covered, they can not tell you how much to drive. As long as you are within the original 4 Years/50K miles of the original warrnty and maintnance from the original purchase date you are covered period.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information