+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 15777 jseeger is an unknown quantity at this point jseeger's Avatar

Yes | No

Gas tank problem, answer and question.

Ok, long story short, Car stopped on the highway and got towed. 1/4 tank remaining on the guage but found the tank to be empty. could only put 55 litres in when i filled it and should have taken 63 litres. Found out there are two guages on both halves on the tank. left side was holding the remaining 8 litres of fuel that went missing, this is why it said i had about a 1/4 of a tank left. Now for the question. How does the fuel pass from the left half to the right half? Owner manual says there is a fuel syphon pump.

Registered Member
    Member No: 30369 TLK is an unknown quantity at this point TLK's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Gas tank problem, answer and question.

The tank is one piece, but has two lobes with a narrow part in the middle due to driveshaft, rear end. I believe gas can migrate across the isthmus and there are also hoses that run across the top that allow a kind of siphon action so that gas will migrate from a lower side to a higher side.

If the side with the fuel pump went dry, the engine will stop. I never heard of gas not moving around properly. I could see it happening if you drive on a racetrack with nothing but right turns, but its pretty strange in real life. Could be the siphon system is blocked or broken. If the fuel pump ran dry, consider replacing it when you have fixed the problem because fuel cooled pumps overheat when they run dry and that mean trouble later on.

You can look at this system yourself somewhat. Remove the rear seat cushion and there are two hatches that can be unscrewed that access the two lobes of the fuel tank. Working with gas isn't much fun though so I'd recommend leaving it a shop to deal with unless your a nut like me with lots of tools and way too much ambition when it comes to fixing cars.
    TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 21435 bdklein is an unknown quantity at this point bdklein's Avatar

Yes | No

Here is what you need

http://store.bimmerworld.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=bimmerworl&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=439434230&Count2=356574654&CategoryID=15&Target=products.asp

Julian Seeger B7 Turbo, E36 M3, 633 V12
    Member No: Julian Seeger B7 Turbo, E36 M3, 633 V12's Avatar

Yes | No

well i work on cars for a living as i own my own body shop so i should be able to do it myself.. just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem

Registered Member
    Member No: 167365 Zottyzot is an unknown quantity at this point Zottyzot's Avatar

Yes | No

Is there a reason for the two lobes, other than clearing the driveshaft?* Could it be to help control weight shift during cornering?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information