+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 33848 speed_demon is an unknown quantity at this point speed_demon's Avatar

Yes | No

Steptronic v. Automatic on 135 Convertible.....

I went up to BMW Seattle to test drive a MZ4 -- but really didn't see a huge difference from my 2006 3.0si. However, I did test drive a 135 that I thought was great. The only problem is that all of the 1-series cars at BMW Seattle have automatic. I've had three roadsters -- all manual, and one 3-series that was automatic. I really didn't like it in the 3-series. The steptronic I test drove seemed pretty quick...but I didn't get to test drive the manuals. It would be easier in city driving not to have to shift of the time. I don't want to buy a steptronic and regret it. Anybody out there who has driven both have an opinion? thanks

FloydR

Yes | No

Re: Steptronic v. Automatic on 135 Convertible.....

My son has a 335i with manual. Because of the torque, you can get by just leaving it in a gear where the revs are at least 1500.

Note that the auto with the turbo engine is the ZF tranny which shifts faster than the GM in the lesser models.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4751 seapbmw is an unknown quantity at this point seapbmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Steptronic v. Automatic on 135 Convertible....

Go for the manual. I have driven both and also a model with the paddle shifters. I liked the paddles (compared to my 2004 3 series with an early version SMG) but the manual is even quicker.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

You gotta know yourself that a manual is

so so much more fun! Even if an auto is just as fast, there's nothing like sticking it in a gear and letting the engine pull. Don't get caught at a weak moment and do something you'll regret.
    Unless you drive in mucho stop and go, getting caught a few times in traffic is something easily lived thru. I live in NYC and love my six speed.

BG

Yes | No

Is it possible? Buy a 135 with automatic?

I guess it is possible, but it sure would take a big part of the fun out of such a nimble and quick and sporty car. Don't let someone convince you you need an auto with the lame, "If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, you need an automatic." The other respondent was correct that with a lot of torque in a light car, you don't need to shift all that often in many circumstances. Seattle is fabulous terrain for a manual, and once you get into the Cascades or Olympics, the fun factor would go way up. Once you get to eastern Washington, you put it in 6th gear and go - that's such a challenge?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information