+ Reply to Thread
    Marcel Zeeuw

Yes | No

Rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel arch

I recently bought a '86 635CSi witk 165K km. It's from the first owner with full history, and perfectly looked after except for one thing. It has some rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel arch. It want it restored, and I want it restored good. The rust comes from within the panel, so it seems like water has been dripping into somesort of blocked(?) hollow body space.<p>So, a few questions are:<br>Is this a week point for E24's?<br>Do I have to look after other things as well regarding the wheel arch rusting problem?<br>Do I have to improve water drainage once the panel is restored?<br>Do I have to take other improvements into account?<p>Kind regards,<p>Marcel Zeeuw<br>Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Mitri

Yes | No

Re: Rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel

<i><br>I recently bought a '86 635CSi witk 165K km. It's from the first owner with full history, and perfectly looked after except for one thing. It has some rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel arch. It want it restored, and I want it restored good. The rust comes from within the panel, so it seems like water has been dripping into somesort of blocked(?) hollow body space.<p>So, a few questions are:<br>Is this a week point for E24's?<br>Do I have to look after other things as well regarding the wheel arch rusting problem?<br>Do I have to improve water drainage once the panel is restored?<br>Do I have to take other improvements into account?<p>Kind regards,<p>Marcel Zeeuw<br>Amsterdam, The Netherlands.<p></i><br>The 635 csi gets rust in 2 places mostly. one is the rear body panels and the other is in front panels of the the car where the wheels are. The back panel usually rusts due to blokage of drains and the front panel due to water going under the plastic molding and the panel.

Mitri

Yes | No

<i><br>I recently bought a '86 635CSi witk 165K km. It's from the first owner with full history, and perfectly looked after except for one thing. It has some rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel arch. It want it restored, and I want it restored good. The rust comes from within the panel, so it seems like water has been dripping into somesort of blocked(?) hollow body space.<p>So, a few questions are:<br>Is this a week point for E24's?<br>Do I have to look after other things as well regarding the wheel arch rusting problem?<br>Do I have to improve water drainage once the panel is restored?<br>Do I have to take other improvements into account?<p>Kind regards,<p>Marcel Zeeuw<br>Amsterdam, The Netherlands.<p></i><br>The 635 csi gets rust in 2 places mostly. one is the rear body panels and the other is in front panels of the the car where the wheels are. The back panel usually rusts due to blokage of drains and the front panel due to water going under the plastic molding and the panel. Mitri, california

Jim

Yes | No

Mine had that

Mine was just like that when i got it. I had it fixed but was a bigger job than it looked from the outside. I dont exactly know the cause, but it was only on the passenger side. BTW - I'm in Heidelberg Germany, so I'm curious what you paide for your car - mine has the same mileage.

Marcel Zeeuw

Yes | No

Re: Mine had that

<i><br>Mine was just like that when i got it. I had it fixed but was a bigger job than it looked from the outside. I dont exactly know the cause, but it was only on the passenger side. BTW - I'm in Heidelberg Germany, so I'm curious what you paide for your car - mine has the same mileage.<p></i><p>I paid Dfl 15,000 guilders, which is approx. 13750 German Marks or should we say 6808 Euro. And to make it complete for our American friends some 6000 US$.<p>CU<p>Marcel Zeeuw.<br>

Bob

Yes | No

Your best solution...

<i><br>First, there is probably LOTS more rust than you see. It just hasn't popped through yet.<p>I would take a really sharp ice pick and start poking around both rear wheel flares to see if you can poke through any thin spots.<p>Have the metal around the areas where you found thin metal cut out and new metal welded in, then have it finished and painted.<p>Then, remove the rear interior panels and the trunk side liners, and have Waxoyl or another good rustproofing agent thoroughly sprayed into the cavities from behind the panel. Make sure that they really saturate the areas so the stuff is dripping out wherever it can escape. Leave the panels off for a week to aid drying and don't drive the car in the rain until it dries tacky-hard. By the way, it smells a LOT while it's drying, but it will go away when the panels are replaced.<p>Hopefully this will prevent further rust there.<p>The front fenders often rust in these cars (at the top), as can the front wheel house where the fenders join the wheel houses. The top around the sun roof is another place for rust.<p>US Specs cars seldom have these problems, but Euros do, and I don't know if it is a case of poor rustproofing for Euro cars, or just more salted roads in Europe.<p>Bob<br>I recently bought a '86 635CSi witk 165K km. It's from the first owner with full history, and perfectly looked after except for one thing. It has some rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel arch. It want it restored, and I want it restored good. The rust comes from within the panel, so it seems like water has been dripping into somesort of blocked(?) hollow body space.<p>So, a few questions are:<br>Is this a week point for E24's?<br>Do I have to look after other things as well regarding the wheel arch rusting problem?<br>Do I have to improve water drainage once the panel is restored?<br>Do I have to take other improvements into account?<p>Kind regards,<p>Marcel Zeeuw<br>Amsterdam, The Netherlands.<p></i><br>

Koen Wich

Yes | No

Jim I've got a question for you

<i><br>Mine was just like that when i got it. I had it fixed but was a bigger job than it looked from the outside. I dont exactly know the cause, but it was only on the passenger side. BTW - I'm in Heidelberg Germany, so I'm curious what you paide for your car - mine has the same mileage.<p></i><br>He Jim just a question what does a 5 speed "dogleg" (first gear down left) cost in Germany I need one, I can buy one in Holland for fl 500,- DM 435,- 220 US$ <br>Greeting Koen <br>Helmond, The Netherlands<p>

Marcel Zeeuw

Yes | No

Re: Your best solution...

<i><p>First, there is probably LOTS more rust than you see. It just hasn't popped through yet.<p></i><br><b><br>Thanks Bob, but luckily enough thats not the case here.<br></b><br>I would take a really sharp ice pick and start poking around both rear wheel flares to see if you can poke through any thin spots.<br><b><br>Have done so.<br></b><p>Have the metal around the areas where you found thin metal cut out and new metal welded in, then have it finished and painted.<p>Then, remove the rear interior panels and the trunk side liners, and have Waxoyl or another good rustproofing agent thoroughly sprayed into the cavities from behind the panel. Make sure that they really saturate the areas so the stuff is dripping out wherever it can escape. Leave the panels off for a week to aid drying and don't drive the car in the rain until it dries tacky-hard. By the way, it smells a LOT while it's drying, but it will go away when the panels are replaced.<p>Hopefully this will prevent further rust there.<br><b><br>Thanks again for your advise.<br></b><p>The front fenders often rust in these cars (at the top), as can the front wheel house where the fenders join the wheel houses. The top around the sun roof is another place for rust.<p><b><br>Nothing there at mine.<br></b><p>US Specs cars seldom have these problems, but Euros do, and I don't know if it is a case of poor rustproofing for Euro cars, or just more salted roads in Europe.<br><b><br>Or just bad weather always?<br></b><br><i><br>Bob<br>I recently bought a '86 635CSi witk 165K km. It's from the first owner with full history, and perfectly looked after except for one thing. It has some rust at left rear body panel nearby the wheel arch. It want it restored, and I want it restored good. The rust comes from within the panel, so it seems like water has been dripping into somesort of blocked(?) hollow body space.<p>So, a few questions are:<br>Is this a week point for E24's?<br>Do I have to look after other things as well regarding the wheel arch rusting problem?<br>Do I have to improve water drainage once the panel is restored?<br>Do I have to take other improvements into account?<br></i><p>Kind regards,<p>Marcel Zeeuw<br>Amsterdam, The Netherlands.<br>

Marcel Zeeuw

Yes | No

<i><p><b>Snip</b><br>Marcel Zeeuw<br>Amsterdam, The Netherlands.<p><br>The 635 csi gets rust in 2 places mostly. one is the rear body panels and the other is in front panels of the the car where the wheels are. The back panel usually rusts due to blokage of drains and the front panel due to water going under the plastic molding and the panel.<p></i><br>Thanks Mitri, I'll have a look at the drainage plugs, if I can think of improvements (work will start in march there) I'll let you all know folks.<p>Marcel.

Jim

Yes | No

I guess i got a bargain

I got my 6 from an american guy that thought the valve ticking meant the engine was going bad. I let him think that & got it for a song. One valve adjustment later & its purring. Its been more than a year & 10000kms.<p>BTW-<br>I have to leave germany eventually, & will be looking to give good fair price on my 6, so keep me in mind if you know someone that wants a solid car.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information