+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 149559 DLee is an unknown quantity at this point DLee's Avatar

Yes | No

Transmission Warning Light

The automatic transmission warning light in my '01 has come on twice in the past week. Each time when I turned the car off and restarted, it was off. The manual says it comes on when there is a "malfunction in the transmission system". Given that this has happened twice, it's rather obvious that there is some type of problem.
    So, can anyone give some input as to what the problem may be? I'll be going to either a dealer or a local repair shop (highly rated for BMWs), but would like to have an idea what may be wrong first.
    Thanks.
    Dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 126968 rudedog is an unknown quantity at this point rudedog's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Transmission Warning Light

Dave, more than likely it is a faulty brake switch which is located immediately behind your brake pedal. It is a fairly cheap and easy DIY repair. If you're not experiencing any abnormal transmission behavior, it is highly likely that this is your problem. I have replaced mine twice on my '01 after 65K miles.

BonBon

Yes | No

Can you please explain what the brake switch has to do with the transmission warning system?

Registered Member
    Member No: 126968 rudedog is an unknown quantity at this point rudedog's Avatar

Yes | No

The brake switch position is used as both an input to the transmission control module and the ABS/ASC module. In addition to the warning light coming on, some people have also experienced problems with the cruise control not working or problems with your power top since both functions are affected by brake function.

Bob S. - Nor Cal

Yes | No

Just a guess...

Do you have engine software updfates installed? If so, they reset the engine rev limiter to a higher level. If you didn't [or can't get] install the transmission update then the tranny will set an error when you exceed the original rpm limiter for the engine. When this happens it will set the trans error pointer and the light. 5 or 6 restarts will clear it but then you may get a check engine light This will also reset when the trans error clears, but if it drives you nuts then you can reset it with a peake tool or any obdII reset tool.

I've had this problem with my 97 auto since I ocdcaisionally exceed the original rev limit and there is no software upgrade for my trans. Later auto's have upgrades depending on who's ecu upgrade you use.

Hope this helps.
    Bob S.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information