+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 117619 jimtait is an unknown quantity at this point jimtait's Avatar

Yes | No

XJ8 Cylinder head torque specs

In the alldata XJ8 cylinder head torquing specifications, it says to torque the head bolts to 35 Nm in sequence then torque them again to 90 degrees. Does this mean you should turn them an additional 1/4 turn in sequence.

How do you know if you have to replace the cylinder head once you have removed it, does it have to meet a spec say in thickness. I know most places say to replace the gasket but I would like to know the reason,I understand that broken gaskets are a no brainier

Registered Member
    Member No: 145397 BRIAN98VDP is an unknown quantity at this point BRIAN98VDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: XJ8 Cylinder head torque specs

How do you know if you have to replace the cylinder head once you have removed it??????

DO YOU MEAN THE GASKET????
    IF THATS WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT....REPLACE IT!!! NO BUTS OR IF'S...

JimT

Yes | No

Yes I mean the Head Gasket. Does that mean that once you have torque down the head regardless of mileage and you have to unbolt the head for what ever reason, you replace the Gasket?

On the Topic of Torque spec is the assumption I use, correct?

Harry in FL

Yes | No

Yes and Yes.

Registered Member
    Member No: 156012 JagtechOhio is an unknown quantity at this point JagtechOhio's Avatar

Yes | No

A guy once told me he re-used his head gasket. He said he got a box of strawberry Pop Tarts, squeezed the jelly out of them, and smeared it on both sides of the gasket. Then he torqued down the head by drilling holes all around the perimeter and using honking big sheet metal screws.

He was very specific that the jelly had to be strawberry, I'm not sure why. The whole job took him like six minutes.

Registered Member
    Member No: 145397 BRIAN98VDP is an unknown quantity at this point BRIAN98VDP's Avatar

Yes | No

once you remove the bolts, the gasket is best to be replaced...
    avoid doing a job twice....you might get away with reusing the old gasket....ybut you face a posible oil leak in the future...have you compare a new and and old gasket...that extra thickness is the difference that prevent an oil leak...
    just get a new one and be done with it.....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information