+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 122425 robertj192000 is an unknown quantity at this point robertj192000's Avatar

Yes | No

Fuel Pump Shutdown,

'98 740i with 84K. While traveling about 45mph on level ground, engine shut down. Turned out it was the #57 fuse in the trunk that is one of two identified with the fuel pump. #17 under the hood was fine.

I replaced the #57 fuse and the car started immediatly and continues to run OK. Obviously, I am concerned about what blew the fuse. I checked the wiring under the rear seat and found nothing bare. Anyone have any experience with this?

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Fuel Pump Shutdown,

May not be the fuel pump... the shut-down was caused by cam position sensor failure or crank shaft position sensor. Either sensor will shut down the entire system to prevent engine damaged. So, most likely the cam position sensor failed. If you need location for cam sensor let me know.

Registered Member
    Member No: 122425 robertj192000 is an unknown quantity at this point robertj192000's Avatar

Yes | No

Claudio - Thanks for the response. I installed a new fuse and the car runs OK but I don't trust it because I have not found what blew the fuse.

Can a cam position sensor failing cause the #57 15amp fuse in the trunk to blow? The check engine light is off and there are no pending codes showing.

Is it possible a relay powering the fuel pump is at fault?

VIN is DL57452.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Wire failure insulator is possible... but not necessarily to be the fuel pump. Here are pictures of wires cracking due to poor insulator quality... also, could be electrical gremlins

JG

Yes | No

Just blew 2nd fuel pump fuse in trunk....all runs fine but have decided to replace the fuse with a 25amp self setting circuit breaker instead, Hope this will keep the pump from beeing completly disabled...in the rain,with the wife,when she's late..etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information