+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 81359 chasiubao is an unknown quantity at this point chasiubao's Avatar

Yes | No

oil drain plug stripped need insturctions helicoil

someone please shed some light on how to heli coil my oil drain plug for an m20 oil pan. please provide part #'s procedures links write up etc. I'm motivated and want to learn. I've searched the archive but no instructions provided just that either to helicoil or use oversize drain plug. I think helicoil seems like a more permannent/stronger fix than an orersized bolt that can strip aluminum again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 117731 jlevie is an unknown quantity at this point jlevie's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: oil drain plug stripped need insturctions heli

The tools to do this properly aren't cheap, so it may be more economical to have a shop that already have the HeliCoil tap, insertion tool, and tang breaker do the repair.Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL
    BMWCCA 335857
    http://www.bmwcca.org

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

It is actually pretty easy........................

Places like Pep Boys,Napa,Carquest and Kragen should have the helicoil kits, they are cheaper than the time you would spend in your own labor removing the oil pan and taking it to a machine shop.

The kits come with instructions, but basically you are just drilling the hole out bigger and tapping in new threads for the helicoil.

Since there will be metal filings from the drilling and thread cutting you need to make sure and pack the drill bit and thread cutter with grease to hold the filings so they dont get into the oil pan.

The kits come with everything you need to do this, just hold your drill nice and straight so you follow the original hole correctly.
    You want a kit for a 12 x 1.5 mm thread.

NOTE: If you are not comfortable doing it then take it to a shop that can perform the work.

“Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Find the problem first! Dont spend $$$$$ on parts you may not need.

'87 325is The best ever
    '69 1600 My worst nightmare
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00302)
    Joined September 14, 2005

The secret to my success

ColinC

Yes | No

I did this on my car....

As Geez says, it's very easy. The whole thing, including draining the oil, changing the filter, and refilling with oil, took me about an hour. If you want to be really [Oops!], save the old oil you drain from the engine, and after you've drilled, tapped, and inserted the heli-coil, leave the drain plug out and pour the old oil in and let it drain out to "wash" any aluminum shavings out of the oil pan. Let it drain thoroughly, then install the drain plug with a new sealing washer and refill the engine with oil. If you do this carefully, the new steel threads are stronger than the original threads, which were tapped directly into the aluminum pan.

Also, NEVER let a quick lube place change your oil. They are notorious for stripping drain plug threads.

Registered Member
    Member No: 21723 ColinC is an unknown quantity at this point ColinC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: oil drain plug stripped need insturctions heli

My kit was like $35 and came with all of the above and about 10 thread inserts. You don't need a fabulous tap to do this. Cast aluminum is as easy to drill and tap as a block of cheese.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information