+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 154164 F31Sailor is an unknown quantity at this point F31Sailor's Avatar

Yes | No

diagnose binding brakes

I wouldn't exactly say they are binding. But my front brakes are not retracting as much as I think they should. I discovered this after I replaced my right front caliper. It was definitely seized. The brakes on that wheel are now not binding as badly. But still rubbing more than I think they should. Is this typical on this model? I recently read that if you switch to synthetic brake fluid you will need to replace your brakhoses due to swelling caused by a reaction to the new type of fluid.
    I will appreciate any input or experiences people have with this issue.

Bob K

Yes | No

Re: diagnose binding brakes

I installed steel braid lines on the front yesterday. It's a slick upgrade. Every ///M should have them. During the process I realized that the calipers probably aren't binding. But my rotors are tweaked just enough to rub significantly at one spot on each rotor. I had the rotors turned six months ago. I don't know why this is happening. I guess the next upgrade will be rotors.

Registered Member
    Member No: 23566 Stanley_Blackwell is a glorious beacon of light Stanley_Blackwell is a glorious beacon of light Stanley_Blackwell is a glorious beacon of light Stanley_Blackwell is a glorious beacon of light Stanley_Blackwell is a glorious beacon of light Stanley_Blackwell's Avatar

Yes | No

Sound like the rotors are warped...Fairly common>

thing to happen to these cars...Normal.

BMW F1

Yes | No

Re: diagnose binding brakes

I had the same problem, but fixed it when I replaced the offending caliper.

My caliper was bad. I tried a number of things until I finally replaced the caliper.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information