+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 65194 patton03m3 is an unknown quantity at this point patton03m3's Avatar

Yes | No

My 05 M3 just failed emissions...

...at the dealer. WTH? They said they need to update the ECU software and it will, um, magically pass then. Bringing it back on Thursday to get that done...oh, and they took my current inspection sticker off the windshield before they realized it.

Registered Member
    Best place on the fuuucking planet, , United States
    Member No: 26908 mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1 is a splendid one to behold mjs1's Avatar

Yes | No

Known issue. There was a service bulleting or

something like that for it. No big deal.

Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 65194 patton03m3 is an unknown quantity at this point patton03m3's Avatar

Yes | No

Updated the DME software, still fails.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112690 Radiation-Joe is on a distinguished road Radiation-Joe's Avatar

Yes | No

Italian tune-up. Works almost every time.

Call ahead to the inspection station. Let them know you are coming in and make sure your car is not going to sit before the test.

Take it out and beat the hell out of it for half an hour before the test. It should pass.

The clock is ticking slowly.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Interesting...I'll make that rec tomorrow if no

Registered Member

Yes | No

Any Texas Peeps with 05 M3 fail inspection?....

...here's the update...it's not actually the emissions that's failing, it's the communication between the OBD and the Texas inspection machine. Very similar to SIB 12 11 06 (or something like that) which they already tried on my car. They (the dealer) had one other 05 M3 on the lot, and it refused to communicate also. So they are sending the DME to NJ to get it tested and possibly reprogrammed, much like that previous SIB issue. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else in Texas with an 05 M3 Coupe has had an issue with the State inspection like this. My car was delivered Sept 2 2005. Thanks in advance!

ADS

Yes | No

Also, run Techron or BG44 cleaner through

That and making sure the cats are hot before going in should easily do it if it isn't throwing emission codes.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

fill it up with E85 and drive it like you stole it

ethanols has ZERO emission.
    plus isn't this under warranty on an 05 car ? ? ? ? Emission items are warrantied for 8 years 100k miles !

NC TRACKRAT

Yes | No

How many miles on the oil? Sometimes a fresh oil>

change helps. Too many burned HC's in the oil contributes to a "fail".

Registered Member

Yes | No

Under warranty, please see the update posted above

Registered Member

Yes | No

UPDATE: Car now passes TX inspection after...

...some DME tweaking from BMW in NJ. Communication between DME and the inspection machine failed on things like O2 sensor readings. There is apparently going to be a campaign soon for 05+ M cars to update the DMEs to pass Texas Inspections (and I suspect CA also, since TX apparently got their inspection machines second-hand from CA).

Registered Member

Yes | No

New Emissions Recall Campaign announced...

BMW has announced a voluntary emissions recall campaign for 2003-2006 M3s to reprogram the DME control module. I received the letter today, and it states:

"The problem is...
    Your 2003 to 2006 model year M3 BMW automobile has a software error, such that the DME programming, as originally installed, may cause the onboard diagnostic to erroneously evaluate the emissions performance of the catalytic converter, causing the "Service Engine Soon" lamp to illuminate prematurely."
    "If you fail to get this free Emissions Recall Campaign performed...
    If you live in a state with a SMOG Check program, your vehicle must pass an emissions test, as required by state law. Without having this Recall performed, your vehicle may be more likely to fail this test."

As noted in the posts below, they took my DME out in September and sent it to NJ, and it came back with probably a hack to get it to pass. I guess (hope) they have the true fix now.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Campaign #: 08E-A03

Registered Member
    Member No: 172861 chinglungcheng is an unknown quantity at this point chinglungcheng's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: just curious

Why 05 M3 needs SMOG test in 2008?
    My 03 only needs to do the test this month.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Emissions testing is now part of...

...the yearly inspection for certain counties in Texas.

Registered Member
    Member No: 172861 chinglungcheng is an unknown quantity at this point chinglungcheng's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Emissions testing is now part of...

I also posted the smog test failure here.
    On the 2nd trial, it passed the test.

Not sure it is just lucky or something is bad.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information