+ Reply to Thread
    Electron-740i

Yes | No

glovebox lock cylinder removal

Ok, so I have a 95 740i with a busted glovebox latch. With the help of this board, I was able to open the box and remove the old broken lock and latch. The new part does not come with the lock cylinder. How in the heck do I get the old cylinder out of the old latch??? There must be a trick that I'm over looking...

Help!

Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you looked on e38.org?

Electron-740i

Yes | No

Re: Have you looked on e38.org?

Yes. That's how I figured out how to get the box opened up. The latch and lock is out of the car. I just got to figure out how to get the lock cylinder out of the latch assembly. Gunter (the parts counter guy at the BMW stealership) was no help. I'm pretty sure he hopes I screw it up and have to pay them to make it right.

jlhdu

Yes | No

Lock

I got mine apart keeping only the locking cylinder. It was a real pain. There is a silver pin that must be pulled along with the spring on the slider. Then there are 2 plastic clamps that must be pryed apart then the locking cylinder will slide out. Careful though, if you do not have the key in the cylinder the metal "key coders" will fall out.

I must now try to find a new latch housing that I can put the cylinder in. Any ideas?

-JLHDU

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information