+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bob K

Yes | No

Screwed by Bavarian Auto Recycling

I bought a HK midrange door speaker from them. The one they sent me is so blown that the cone is completely, 360 degrees, separated from the frame. There is a 1/8-1/16 inch gap! I called to request a refund. They put me on hold for ten minutes then asked if they could call me back. It's now four days later and I haven't gotten a call back yet. I left a message on a supervisor's voice mail today and he hasn't called me back yet either.

I've generally had good experiences with them. But this is ridiculous!

Bob K

Yes | No

Re: Screwed by Bavarian Auto Recycling

Bob K

Yes | No

end of story

They refunded my money to DiscoverCard. But they never contacted me to return the speaker. They never contacted me to hear what the problem was or even to give me some lame excuse. This leaves me to believe that they know they sell a lot of junk and they just don't care.
    End of story. Buyer beware!

Registered Member
    Member No: 128312 wizman007 is an unknown quantity at this point wizman007's Avatar

Yes | No

That blows. I have never used them, maybe I wont

Registered Member
    Member No: 168570 Nini is an unknown quantity at this point Nini's Avatar

Yes | No

Past experience does account for something but

that pic just ain't right.

Let them know that unless they give you a refund or replacement AND some sort of explanation, you'll be taking your business somewhere else.

Be thsnkful this is small time and not a engine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 46758 roadbuggy is an unknown quantity at this point roadbuggy's Avatar

Yes | No

There's a better midrange to get

Bavarian soundwerks has produced a replacement midrange door speaker. The HK midrange is notorious for blowing, and even if you get a new one, it's only a matter of time. Nontechnically, they can't handle the stereo output, you can search this site for info.

A pair are about the cost for one new one from BMW. Also, getting a used one is going to be dicey no matter how good condition it looks.

Course, completely separated is rediculous. good luck.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/489/0/BMW-E36-Midrange-Front/Buggy
    '99 M3 Convertible
    '67 2000 CS

Bob K

Yes | No

Re: There's a better midrange to get

I installed the BSW's today. I think there is a loss of richness in the midrange sound. But I don't want to keep paying $50 for used HK speakers.

Allen S

Yes | No

My driver-side HK mid blew about 2 years ago. How much effort are they to replace? Obviously, the stereo isn't very important to me, but if it were easy enough I'd spend the time...

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 34951 kevin72 is an unknown quantity at this point kevin72's Avatar

Yes | No

Pretty easy. Just remove the door panels and

put the new ones in. The tweeters have to be hot glued in place. I wasn't thrilled with the hot glue idea, but once they're installed, you'd never know it. IIRC, they come with connectors, so it's plug and play. The website probably has instructions.

Kevro

Registered Member
    Member No: 18640 si523 is an unknown quantity at this point si523's Avatar

Yes | No

This was indeed easy...the new bsw speaker went right into the hk housing w/o any modding...exact same size and the clips on the hk housing even hold the bsw speaker in place. Added some black silicone in a few spots to make sure it stays put. With the raised level of the silicone over the two "tabs" on each speaker the tabs get pushed in when the midrange "nut" gets screwed back onto the hk housing from the backside.

The part for me that took the longest was removing the door panels - making sure not to crack the 10y.o. plastics...most of the plastic pieces actually pulled off the backside of the door panels but the 3m adhesive in the pic below worked great to adhere them back on.

Anybody need a driver's side HK midrange w/o housing?

Bob K

Yes | No

What do you think about the sound? I'm not impressed. I think they are tonier, with less richness in the midrange.

I wanted to reuse the caps that secure the speakers in the housing back in place to lock the speakers in so I dremmeled out the four holes about 1/4" longer and snapped the black plastic caps back in place.

Registered Member
    Member No: 169368 paketam is an unknown quantity at this point paketam's Avatar

Yes | No

2 new HK speakers for $59.99

2 new HK speakers for $59.99. Check out ebay, it will probably cost less then blown HK speakers, will sound better and brand new.

Registered Member
    Member No: 169368 paketam is an unknown quantity at this point paketam's Avatar

Yes | No

These sound better then HK and very easy to

install. No gluing or soldering needed. Just slide new speaker into the housing, crimp the original connector to the new wires and you are done.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58687 phat95m3 is an unknown quantity at this point phat95m3's Avatar

Yes | No

or upgrade the doors...

leave the midrange there, just unplugged, and get a nice component set... mine was a kicker set..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information