+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 169230 545insc is an unknown quantity at this point 545insc's Avatar

Yes | No

Valve cover replacement please help

I had my car in for servcie about 3 weeks ago getting valve covers gaskets replaced and got it back only to have a burning smell when driving. I took it back to the dealer and they said at the time they replaced the gaskets and hoses and apparenty they stripped the washer or ring or something so oil was leaking onto the manifold. Hot maifold+oil=burning smell. They now have had my car since Monday of this week, and told me today they they dont think it was the seal/ring whatever, but the actual passenger side valve cover which is proably going to be a costly repair. They also said that there is service bullitin on it, but my car is not in warranty. How likey is it that I actaully need the cover? Anyone else had this issue? Also BMW wants like 500 just for the passenger side cover I have found them online for 100 dollars non oem. Is there real differnce and are they terribly difficult to install on your own?

Registered Member
    Member No: 98482 bmwtech2003 is an unknown quantity at this point bmwtech2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Valve cover replacement please help

Replacing valve covers on a 545 SUCK. They are very hard to install. You don't want to tackle this job yourself. It sounds like the valve cover was improperly installed or the gasket got misplaced during installation. If they are saying you need to replace it it is because they broke it during installation. It is easy to do.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information