+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No

Gmail change - roadfly.org to roadfly.com?

It appears that with the gmail change, we should be telling people that our e-mail address is roadfly.com instead of roadfly.org? If that is the case, will e-mails to roadfly.org be forwarded to .com for a period of time until everyone catches up?

I am VERY excited about the change and the prospect of having a SPAM filter. Just wondering if I should be going and checking the .org account for a while yet or if things will automatically find their way to gmail regardless of whether .org or .com was used.

Thanks.

JTP
    '00 Bright Red II, Black, Black 2.3

<b>PERFORMANCE: </b>Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. <b>MAINTENANCE: </b>Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. <b>COSMETICS: </b>Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. <b>COMFORT: </b>Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for GF), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. <b>CAR CARE: </b>Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. <b>EXTRAS: </b>Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Administrator Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 1
    Inner Circle ©211 since: May 05, 2000 charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie's Avatar

Yes | No

Go with roadfly.com

John,

We actually made the .org to .com change quite a while ago but the email server's default was left at roadfly.org. Go ahead and start telling folks that your email is [email protected] The .org suffix will remain active for quite some time. No emails will be lost as everything is set to route correctly.

-Charlie

Registered Member

Yes | No

Test e-mails not coming through

I have sent a couple test e-mails to roadfly.com and they are coming through both online and over my iPhone. But I have sent a couple to roadfly.org and none of them have come through since the switchover. I also usually get about 30-40 SPAM messages every day, and I haven't gotten a single SPAM since the switchover. I am convinced that the .org messages are getting lost in cyberspace.

Is there something I should be doing to forward .org to .com? I certainly don't need the SPAM, but I would hate for a real message to get lost in the mix. It boils down to this: If gmail is going to do a good job of sorting SPAM, then I would like to make sure that all .org messages get through to me at .com. On the other hand, if all of the SPAM messages are going to come through too, then maybe it's a good chance to make a clean slate here and dump a bunch of SPAM!

JTP

<b>PERFORMANCE: </b>Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. <b>MAINTENANCE: </b>Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. <b>COSMETICS: </b>Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. <b>COMFORT: </b>Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for GF), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. <b>CAR CARE: </b>Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. <b>EXTRAS: </b>Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Inner Circle ©211 since: May 05, 2000 charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie's Avatar

Yes | No

I'll work on it this afternoon

I have a big database issue to deal w/ this morning.

I'll work on the roadfly.org email issue this afternoon. I must have configured something wrong.

-Charlie

otto99

Yes | No

Same here

.com gets through, .org does not. And I'll bet that most people's spam filters are going to tag me as .com, so a lot of folks won't get the message I sent this morning alerting them to the change. Assure me via e-mail to [email protected] that .org will still come through, as I use that address for a lot of other things than talking about cars! Thanks.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Update - I got one SPAM to .org today

Just to let you know:

I received one SPAM message to .org today. It was NOT forwarded to .com. And neither of my test messages to .org have showed up at either .org OR .com.

JTP

My Home Page

Yes | No

OK, roadfly.org should be working now

Guys, I figured out what I did wrong. I just finished making all the changes. The roadfly.org email addresses should be correctly mapped to Roadfly.com Gmail now.

Please confirm with me that your .org emails are getting through.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yup, things are good. One final question

Thanks for your assistance in getting that cleared up so quickly, Charlie. One final question - it appears that we will no longer have the "you have new mail" prompt on the roadfly forums. Is that accurate? I think I just had new mail when I went to check my inbox, but I don't think I had a new mail prompt on the forum before I did so.

JTP

My Home Page

Registered Member

Yes | No

Confirmed

I sent myself a test message and then waited to see if the "you have new messages" prompt came up. It never did. Is that the way it will always be (so we know that we should check for mail rather than wait for the prompt) or will it be updated at some point to give us the prompt again?

JTP

My Home Page

otto99

Yes | No

Thanks!

I'm alerting everyone to switch to .com anyway, but at least I won't miss anything until I get the word out.

Yes | No

The new mail prompt worked w/ old email system

We have to check w/ Google on the available programming interfaces for Gmail. There may be ways to display the "new mail" link but it will likely be a while before we work on it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information