+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 51648 TamsDaMan is an unknown quantity at this point TamsDaMan's Avatar

Yes | No

No Sense Asking the E39 Board but... M5

Thinking about buying an E39 M5 for a really good price. The alternative is continuing to drive the 528e for cheap. Insurance premium is not bad at all comparatively to my peers. I'd have to take out a loan for a reasonable amount, but I guess my question is... how miserable will I be taking care of the thing? I trust the E28 crew more than those stuck up E39 bastards. I'd say I spend about 100$ a month on average on the 528e in maintenace (more like 1 large bill once a year, but still), no car payment though. The 528e is my only vehicle at the moment.

2001 M5 48,000 mi
    clean carfax (doesn't mean anything)
    2 Owners, Lease then Private
    Florida New York

Registered Member
    Member No: 83238 jamesm525is is an unknown quantity at this point jamesm525is's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: No Sense Asking the E39 Board but... M5

First off, why is it a good price? Has it been hit? Do they have all the paper work for things that have been done on the car? Have it checked at a trusted shop. Too often I have see E39 (and all models)bought and sold with hidden problems. E39s do not stay happy cars if they have been in a wreck. They are good cars, if you get one that has been cared for. 87 535is

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

How good of a DIY are you? That's a big change in

engine type. Are you ready to get into the WDS wiring DVD and consider building up your own GT1 or do you have a reliable Indy that you trust who has an Autologic or similar for diagnostics? Sounds like a nice car. Send me the VIN and I will try to get it's option list. Have you looked at the e38/e39 forums on bimm erboard dot com?
    I have a 95 Euro e38 750iL.

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

Ditto. Whole different ballgame. My E38 is so diff

icult to work on, I'm glad I finally got all caught up on all the maintenance and bad things. Too many complicated systems. That is too much car for me to work on where I am. Everything turns into a multi-day project, instead of an afternoon...plus you have to have it 'reset' by the dealer or someone with the $20,000 computer. Just me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information