+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 169380 jdnwdc is an unknown quantity at this point jdnwdc's Avatar

Yes | No

1997 BMW 740 IL*******NEED HELP ASAP

Ok so i was played for a vehicle and ended up with a 1997 BMW 740 IL thats a lemon...Anyway today I went to the junk yard to get a few sockets for the tailights because I noticed alot of them was missing...I put brand new bulbs in them and they work...I noticed i did not have any brake lights at all but i have parking lights...SO i placed a socket into the brake light area and it did not work so i removed one of the parking lights and placed it in the brake light area and still no luck...So i take the thing to a mechanic and he tells me that i need a circuit board for both tailights for the brake lights...So a good friend of mine who is a mechanic put the sockets in place and the left brake light worked but the right brake light would not work...Im confused because i was told i need a circuit board but yet I have 1 brake light that actually works now so my question is....Do you think it may be corosion around the socket brackets? or do you think i really need a circuit board...But mind i was told that i need it for both but now 1 is working...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated seriously...Thanks for the help

Registered Member
    Member No: 169285 cris88 is an unknown quantity at this point cris88's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1997 BMW 740 IL*******NEED HELP ASAP

to be corroded sockets, the contacts were bad.
    try cleaning those.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

In the older light housings the contact bars on

the circuit board get burned spots. Three solutions, 1. rotate the bulb socket about 5 degrees to get a clean spot; 2. Put a drop of solder on the burned spot on the contact bar; 3. buy a set of Euro style crystal tail lights (what I did). Lot of info on the other board.

Registered Member
    Member No: 169380 jdnwdc is an unknown quantity at this point jdnwdc's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: In the older light housings the contact bars on

Wat do you suggest I clean the sockets with?

csieve

Yes | No

Re: In the older light housings the contact bars o

A scotch brite pad, fine sand paper or even steelwool.

Registered Member
    Member No: 28372 blumrln is an unknown quantity at this point blumrln's Avatar

Yes | No

hmmm

Chuck
    BLUMRLN 97' 740i
    This is Bluemarlin

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information