+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 152056 philip979 is an unknown quantity at this point philip979's Avatar

Yes | No

e28 Brake Master Cylinder

Hello

I need to replace the brake master cylinder on my '87 e28. There is a Girling MC fitted at present (I assume so anyway, as the servo is Girling), but I know they were also fitted with ATE. Are the two interchangeable at all?

Is it possible to buy repair kits for the existing MC by any chance? Preferably in the UK? The existing MC is sticking and does look fairly corroded on the outside, so perhaps it is due a full replacement anyway....

Also, I have heard that it may be possible (and cheaper) to fit a new MC from a 7 Series. Can anybody shed any light on this please? Are they identical? A part number would be great thanks.

Many thanks, Philip

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

The E32 MC is a direct bolt in replacement.

Philip

Yes | No

Re: The E32 MC is a direct bolt in replacement.

Hello again

I have managed to source a brand new e28 master cylinder manufactured by ATE for a very good price. The thing is I am unsure what type of MC is fitted at present - either ATE or Girling. Are the two interchangeable? The servo is clearly marked Girling - will the MC be Girling also, or not necessarily.

BMW list ATE and Girling as separate items so I am concerned they may be slightly different and not interchangeable.

In the meantime I have looked at alternative MCs from e34 and e32 models as advised. Are there potential issues with regard to the manufacturer? I have spotted a used Girling MC for a reasonable price.

Many thanks, Philip

Registered Member
    Member No: 152056 philip979 is an unknown quantity at this point philip979's Avatar

Yes | No

Can anyone give me some advice here please?

Hello again

I have managed to source a brand new e28 master cylinder manufactured by ATE for a very good price. The thing is I am unsure what type of MC is fitted at present - either ATE or Girling. Are the two interchangeable? The servo is clearly marked Girling - will the MC be Girling also, or not necessarily.

BMW list ATE and Girling as separate items so I am concerned they may be slightly different and not interchangeable.

In the meantime I have looked at alternative MCs from e34 and e32 models as advised. Are there potential issues with regard to the manufacturer? I have spotted a used Girling MC for a reasonable price.

Many thanks, Philip

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: e28 Brake Master Cylinder

One thing I want to point out is the hydraulic accumulator can cause a situation where you think the M/C is shot when if fact in needs a new hydraulic accumulator. The things these hydraulic accumulator do are all over the place.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37283 BrianMWatson is an unknown quantity at this point BrianMWatson's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Can anyone give me some advice here please?

I'm going on fading memory here but...I'd say be careful if you try to take one of those bad-boys apart. I seems to remember the spring shooting out like form a canon when I removed a circlip or something. Again, it's been many years. It could have been another car I was working on. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information