+ Reply to Thread
    don

Yes | No

E28 engine swap questions:

Greetings from the e24 board,
    I have an '87 535is auto that I am attempting an engine/transmission swap.Before I get started I wondered if anyone has a word-up on potential issues.
    The donor car is an early e24(on an e12 chassis) with an M90 and dogleg tranny.
    The 535 is production date 10/86 with a blown head.
    Any advice is appricated. Cheers,don

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Seems a lot easier to just get another head as

those 2 engines have very different ignition and injector systems. Motronic vs L-jet.

don

Yes | No

i'm looking for more horseies and a "euro" feel...

..and am considering a late model m30 engine..just not sure

a

Yes | No

Re: E28 engine swap questions:

I would want to go up rather than down in yrs. A 3.5 from an early 90s donor car is what I would go to. You will need the entire engine harness up to and including the ECU.

TJ

Yes | No

Compare the output flange and the length of the transmissions. You might have to hunt for another driveshaft that will match up.

I'd say ditching the automatic is a plus but going back to a mechanical advance ignition would be a bit of a shame. But without the sensor holes in the tranny bellhousing you can't use the existing motronic. Converting to the later motronic might be an option.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31059 wavell5er is an unknown quantity at this point wavell5er's Avatar

Yes | No

i have a couple of head laying around,all you need is to rebuild let me know intrested thanks 18466

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Potential issues are 1.the Euro 3.5's like to smoke. Not all the time but puffs like to belch out now and then. The dog leg transmissions only give you a tiny edge over the competition. Just up grading to a newer O.S (like from a 88 and on 735i) will give you more power and better gas millage.

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: i'm looking for more horseies and a euro feel...

Really the euro 3.5's are cool in a way but as i said they have always smoked since they were new. Its a neat motor but really not all that and a bowl of grits. The sweetest 3.5's are the 88 to 92 3.5's. Really 88/89 is the best the head castings are not as thinned walled. In I think 90 BMW made the intake holes much bigger BUT the walls were to thin in the head and they cracked even more often. BMW in there infinite wisdom plugged up heater hose outlet hole at the rear of the head for the next generation 5's and 7's causing a poor flow area at the back of the head causing head gasket blowout to often and cracked heads in the rear of the head. When you put in the newer engine in your e28 make sure you keep the heater hose setup stock and not plumb it in the way BMW did for the newer car. This will almost eliminate the head/head gasket failures.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information