+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 70158 boscoe55 is an unknown quantity at this point boscoe55's Avatar

Yes | No

09 7's - What's the Deal?

I am sick of this BMW cloak and dagger trying to build exclusivity and protect their margins. They are turning off loyal customers. Called my salesman last week about replacing my 06 Li coming off lease in April(will be my third lease). Am told I should have been in line several weeks ago to be assured of seamless delivery at lease expiration at April end! Something about 44,000 less BMW's to the US in 09 (duh, in this economy. I received an 09 7-series BMW USA teaser in the mail two weeks ago, of course there is NO info yet on BMW website on 09's, even for current owners - have to dig around the Internet to pick up the UK brochure. My salesman uses a wrinkled photocopy of a preliminary brochure. He says BMW USA will be offering lease extensions to bridge into a delayed 09 - also tells me to expect that money rates and residuals on 09 leases will really suck. I realize they are stuck with a lot of off lease and 08 inventory, but they are running me off. Anyone had a better experience? What about 09 discount talk?

MBkiller

Yes | No

Same thing here...

I spoke with a friend that is a finance manager at a BMW dealer. He's in another state and I don't lease my cars from him, so he has no reason to deceive me. My lease also expires in April. He said to expect my payment to increase around $300.00 per month.

FWIW, BMW really needs to unload the lease turn-ins. I plan on exploring a purchase of my current car, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. You can negotiate a price well below the residual value. Additionally, if you run it through the dealer's shop, CPO extends the warranty to 6 years/100k miles. Worth looking into.

Registered Member
    Member No: 125471 michaelnj is an unknown quantity at this point michaelnj's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 09 7's - What's the Deal?

My '06 lease end 5/1. I'll give my salesman a call. Never had a problem with a new model before. I ordered a Z4 when they first came out. People were buying spots in line on eBay and paying over sticker. I got one of the first ones and it was discounted. No BS. I've owned 7 BMW's (6 from the same salesman) so I don't expect any games.

I'm not interested in buying this 7 but I owuld continue the lease for the same payment if they will allow me too. If the new 7 is going to be more per month, I don't want it. I got a quote on an CLS yesterday. Might just go with that instead.

Registered Member
    Member No: 125471 michaelnj is an unknown quantity at this point michaelnj's Avatar

Yes | No

Spoke to my dealer today. Cars will arrive beginning of February and they will have lease figires a few days before that. He said there will be no problem getting one. Allocations won't be an issue. They can change the options on a vehicle that's already in the allocation. So you could get one the way you want first week of February. My lease doesn't end until May 1 anyway. So I'll get the price end of March and dedide if I want one or not. Probably not unless it's a good deal. I'm not going to a premium just because it's a new model.

Of course, there are good deals on '08's.

Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

Residuals...

BMW residuals have really taken a beating. I priced an X6 for sh!ts and giggles and couldn't believe the residuals (50% on a 24 month!). I hope BMW comes to their senses before releasing F01 programs.<small>
    '08 BMW 650i Sport -- TitaniumSilver/Black
    '07 BMW X5 4.8i Sport -- SpaceGray/Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 159556 Catanzaro is an unknown quantity at this point Catanzaro's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Residuals...

I can promise anyone looking for a 2009 that they will pay top dollar. The residuals will be low making payments very high on the lease. I purchased an 2004 in August of 2007. The going rate was about 40K-42K coming off a lease (from BMW). The 2006 750 Li with less miles was run about 15K to 20K more. 1 year and 3 months later, you could purchase a 750Li coming off lease for exactly the same price. BMW made huge mistakes on residuals and the supply exceeded the demand, driving the 745 straight down in market value. Right now you could not even sell them. There is a dealer selling a 2006 750 Li for 40K here in NJ. 6 months ago it was 50K, a 10K drop. They are losing monies on this and the car has been sitting on the lot (independant dealer). I have not seen a 7 Series for sale at any BMW in a while. There inventory is quite low (what ever that means). The new BMW 7 for 2009 is a lot of technology (over kill). Check out the latest Roundel and BMW Magazine, you will get an idea what the car has in it. The price (MSRP) has to be running close to 100K (well equipped) over that. Leases will run about $1,400 to $1,600 for 10K leases. Well not worth the money. It is only a car.

Good Luck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 70158 boscoe55 is an unknown quantity at this point boscoe55's Avatar

Yes | No

Reluctantly, it sounds like I am going to be forced into saying sayonara to the 7's after six years and look to the Far East for my next purchase/lease. You simply don't effectively raise the monthly cost by 30 - 40% in a bad economy to one of your best six year customers. Damn - and I was really getting excited about the 09 (notwithstanding active roll stabilization no longer standard).
    FWIW- I understand residuals for BMW in the US are set by an independent appraisal company based in California. I have always thought the E65/66 residuals were unrealistically high as BMW promoted the redesigned flagship through behind the scenes lease concessions, making leasing a better choice. But now the appraiser and BMW appear to be overreacting to the economy, which is the obvious prime reason for the current bath they are taking on 7 lease returns. But as great as the 7 has been, I also believe there is a little residual (pardon me) Banglemobile stigma reflected in the pre-owned 7 values. Not sure there is another world consumer economy that is going to replace the demand in the US over the next three to five years.

MBkiller

Yes | No

Rant time...

I can accept that they are being more conservative with residuals, as frankly, they were rather generous previously. What I can not accept is that at a time of a weak global economy and low interest rates, the price of the car has increased substantially and lease rates are high. Now the rates have not yet been released for the 2009 7-series, but by looking at their history with new model releases and the current rates on other models, I expect them to be high. I just don't see how you expect to sell cars when you tell your loyal customers that their payment will increase such dramatic margins. We are talking 30-40% here. That's INSANE! Frankly, that will price many customers right out of the car. With interested rates being low, there is NO excuse why the lease rates on these cars shouldn't also be low. I feel as if we are being taken advantage of.
    From what I've read, BMW is trying to discourage leasing and promote more purchases. They just don't get that the large majority of people in this market don't want to buy the car. Like most of you, I like getting a new car every few years, and I certainly have no intention of tying up $100K (plus interest) of my hard earned money in a depreciating asset that's going to sit outside in the elements and be exposed to all the inconsiderate heathens of the world.

I like most of what I see of the F02, but for the first time in 15 years, I will be cross shopping Lexus, Audi, Mercedes and Cadillac. Hell, for this kind of scratch I can buy a 2 year old Bentley Continental.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Completely agree.

<small>
    '08 BMW 650i Sport -- TitaniumSilver/Black
    '07 BMW X5 4.8i Sport -- SpaceGray/Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 69799 TestnDoc is an unknown quantity at this point TestnDoc's Avatar

Yes | No

Lets up Residuals are decent as I have a 7 ordered

Registered Member

Yes | No

Residuals on the new 7 are decent?

What did you order?<small>
    '08 BMW 650i | TitaniumSilver/Black
    '07 BMW X5 4.8i | SpaceGray/Black
    '09 BMW 328xiT | ArcticWhite/Saddle [on order]

MBkiller

Yes | No

Money factor & Residuals not available yet

I'm glad you ordered a car, but I'm not sure what they based your numbers on. None of the finance numbers (residual value, money factor, interest rates, etc.)are available yet, even to dealers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information