+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Fluke/CapeCod

Yes | No

Coupe's in snow seems a bad mix

this Coupe is by far the worst car I have ever owned with respect to getting traction in snow. But....I really can't blame the car itself, I think its more these performance tire tread patterns we are using that are to blame for this problem.

I don't think I'd ever put a real snowtire on the Coupe because I think it would be way to noisey to live with and sit surely would turn this smooth ride into that of a highspeed John Deere lawn tractor ride.

But maybe an all-season radial would be a better compromise here.
    Presently I just don't go on the roads till I see raw pavement. But that would not be the case if I were still doing my daily computing to work.. if that were the case I would have no choice but get the all-season radials or in worst case get them, try them, and then throw them away for a real snow tire.

but it sure is fun spinning around when there's nobody in your way.

anyone here try snowtires out on their coupe yet ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 44540 bigapplem is an unknown quantity at this point bigapplem's Avatar

Yes | No

You must be joking...?

2002 Silver S54 Mcoupe
    368S/315

dp

Yes | No

not good, but survivable

i've made it through a couple ill-advised winter trips - in the mountains, no less. on stock tires. have to tiptoe the entire way, one twitch away from disaster. not something you'd want to do every day for sure.

all-season tires suck in the snow just as bad as summer ones do. real winter tires (or better yet a car better suited to the job, with real winter tires) is the way to go.

Registered Member
    Member No: 170623 mac62 is an unknown quantity at this point mac62's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Coupe's in snow seems a bad mix

I have the Hakkepelittas on all four wheels. Goes like a snowcat for the most part. No spinning, sliding (except on ice- nothing is going to save you ice). Been round-trip to Quebec and back in a major blizzard, no worries.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75441 TurnAround is an unknown quantity at this point TurnAround's Avatar

Yes | No

I was just going to say Hakkas

Most of us either live in a climate that doesn't get snow often, or has a second car to handle it. But if you seriously need snow traction Fluke, buy a second set of wheels and put Nokian Hakkapellitta snow tires on them. Studded is best. You want separate wheels due to the hassle of swapping them off, and due to the damage that snow wheels take during the winter from sanding (rocks.. really).

I used Michelin all season seasons on the Coupe for about 5 months. They actually had pretty good traction in snow and ice, but really... studded snow tires rule. I mauled the tread off of the Michys and replaced them with a summer set after that.

Just pulled the Michelin Lattitude Alpin snow tires off of the X5. Utterly worthless tire. I had Hakka 4's on 17" wheels before that. Awesome traction in snow and ice, but way to squishy on wet and dry. We now have gone back to the Hakkas, but on a set of 18" wheels. The lower profile (stiffer) and wider wheel has solved the wet / dry road handling. And of course, on ice and snow... OMG. Unreal braking, cornering, and forward traction. Just got back from skiing yesterday. 80 miles on ice, both ways. Gawd I love these tires.

But, based on your board name... you can't actually have snow issue eh bro?

'02 Z3 Coupe 3.0i [Hellröt II - Walnuß]
    '03 X5 3.0i [GrauGrün - Beige]
    '01 Z3 Roadster 3.0i [AlpenWeiß - TraumRöt]

elfhearse

Yes | No

another vote for Hakkas

I have the RSI's on my 318ti DD, great tire in the snow and no squirmy feeling on the dry roads.

Registered Member
    Member No: 109162 bmellott is an unknown quantity at this point bmellott's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Nokian rock

Way back when had them on the 95 325is, just finished up a set on the Subaru forester got like 55k mniles out of them.
    Expensive but hands down the best.
    If I had to drive the coupe it would have them, period.

fred

Yes | No

Blizzaks work great on the MC.

I bought Blizzak MZ-01s for the first winter I had the car. I live in snow country, and this was my daily driver for a half-dozen years before getting an alternative vehicle for the bad days. They got around just fine - better than my FWD Saturn on all-season tires. I still have those MZ-01s and haven't worn them out yet, although the best ice/snow grip layer is gone now. Good winter tires are quite a bit quieter than the typical performance street tires on this car. Only drawback is that the MZ-01s have a very soft sidewall that turns in on corners about 2 beats after you turn the wheel. The one good thing about this set getting older is that while I have less grip, I also now have stiffer sidewalls with age so it turns much better on the dry days!
    Haven't seen the slow response rate with Blizzak LM-25s on other cars; maybe a little less ice grip than the MZ-01s though.

Gregor

Yes | No

Re: Arctic Alpins

My Coupe has never seen a snow flake as I store it, but I used to run the Blizzaks and then Artic Alpins on my e46 which I drove through all kinds of snow. I found the Alpins to have better traction in dry pavement and equal in the snow.

One early track day I got caught out in snow in the e46 with a set of Yokohama 032. Big wide mostly slick tire. The car literally would not get out of the parking lot with summer only tires. And, yet with snows on was great. Tires make a big difference in snow.

Gregor

Fluke/CapeCod

Yes | No

Re: THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK

haven't been online for maybe a week..

To be honest I see nothing wrong with the coupe as for being a good car in the snow... its just getting the right tires as has been attested by some of the feedback here...

thanks.... everyone

next project is getting some 17" rims for snowtires, that seems the way to go ...

fred

Yes | No

For winter tires, look at 16" rims. (more)

Not very many 16" rims will fit over the MC's front brake calipers - ask Tire Rack for ideas. I bought Mille Miglia wheels from them when I got the Blizzaks; I hear that wheel isn't available any more. Advantage of going down a size is that the tires are cheaper, and probably more importantly, you get more sidewall. That's handy when you're dealing with potholes and built-up snow/sand hills on the street, so you don't hack up the wheels as easily as with 17s.

nixoda

Yes | No

Re: For winter tires, look at 16 rims. (more)

IIRC, you have a 2.8 coupe. If so, 16" rims were standard, 17" were optional with the sport package . If you're going to go with a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, look for somebody trying to get rid of their 16"'s. They should be going for a good price, they'll be better suited for snow and the rubber will be cheaper. Hat trick!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information