+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 46952 randonneur is an unknown quantity at this point randonneur's Avatar

Yes | No

How screwed am I?

Been out of the country for a year and a half. Sister looking after 2002 MC for me. Turns out she was concerned about driving it so she parked it in the garage and hasn't driven it or started it since I left. So, what smart tings should I do to it before I even think about pushing it out of the garage and onto a tow truck? And, conversely, what stupid things should I absolutely avoid doing?

Also, have moved to Northern NJ. Any recommendations for top rate MC mechanics?

Thanks in advance.

elfhearse

Yes | No

Buy a new battery, tires should have awesome flat

spots...might be toast depending on the tire pressure when it was parked by your _____ sister.

The big question is how to prep the engine before turning it over. There are a few threads over on b im mer fo ru ms on turning over the engine with fuel relay disconnected (IIRC) to get oil into the cylinders without starting the engine. Not sure how much that will help.

I pulled my spark plugs and sprayed fogging oil into the engine cylinders prior to storing my Coupe for the upcoming year. You could try that to get some lubrication into the cylinders/let it soak. (Stabil Fogging Oil in red spray can from Pep Boys)

Hopefully you changed your oil before you left....

Registered Member
    Member No: 75441 TurnAround is an unknown quantity at this point TurnAround's Avatar

Yes | No

Also, if you tow.. watch the front end.

If it is a ramp up truck carry, the front nose couling is very vulnerable. Worse problem on the Z3C. THe MC has a slightly pulled back nose... but still.

'02 Z3 Coupe 3.0i [Hellröt II - Walnuß]
    '03 X5 3.0i [GrauGrün - Beige]
    '01 Z3 Roadster 3.0i [AlpenWeiß - TraumRöt]

Gregor

Yes | No

Non-Issue

It is a BMW. Big oil pan, synthetic oil. Put some air in the tires, get a new battery from Sears, and drive it down to the dealer and have them change the oil.

The S54 is good about starting and most of the stuff on old gas is a myth. I would top it up with good quality fuel.

Other than that, I would just treat it like break in. Nothing over 4k RPM for a few hundred miles.

When you start the car, BMW says not to let the S54 idle for extended periods. Apparantly they oil better if you drive them. So, just be easy and keep the RPM down until you get the car up to temperature.

Gregor
    02 M Coupe
    Stored every winter since new

Rick Kim

Yes | No

Re: How screwed am I?

I've gone over 6months about 7months without starting my S52 M Coupe and except for the battery being dead I had no problems. no special prep was done, it only had 1/4 of fuel in it too.

Fluke/CapeCod

Yes | No

Re: OLD SCHOOL we put Mystery Oil in Cyl.

take the spark plugs out and add eough Mystery Oil to cover the piston so that the oil spreads uniformlly around the cylinder and the piston rings... how much do you add.. thats up to you ..but I'd guess maybe a 1/8th cup to 1/4 of a cup per cylinder.. then let it sit for 3 or 4 days.

If the oil leaks by the rings and the cylinder(s) is empty that not a good sign... but I expect that to be the case here..

might want more feedback, from the gang here, regarding this remedy

Gregor

Yes | No

Con Cuidado

I would worry about bending a valve on a high compression engine with any fluid in the cylinders. I would just start her up gently.

Registered Member
    Member No: 83693 yianniem is an unknown quantity at this point yianniem's Avatar

Yes | No

mechanic recommendations

I bring my M Coupe to Sal Puleo @ Rennsport Motor Works in Hackensack. He is a top notch BMW mechanic.

Fluke/CapeCod

Yes | No

Re:GOOD POINT (reply)

most of the old American stuff was pretty low copression that we had used Mystery Oil on. With respect to high compression motors ...usually they were all in perfect condition, well maintained and very high performance detailing, thereby, in need of no such a loosing by penetration oil.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information