+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 170470 Jon89 is an unknown quantity at this point Jon89's Avatar

Yes | No

Cheaper Sources for Shell ATF M1375.4 Fluid ?

Although I certainly don't need any transmission fluid yet with only 20,000 miles currently on our 2005 S-Type 3.0, I know that at some point down the road a transmission fluid drain-and-fill will be a good idea from a preventive maintenance standpoint.

The local Jaguar parts department charges $57 per litre for this Shell ATF M1375.4 mineral oil-based transmission fluid. Does this stuff have gold particles floating around in it as well? That price is absurd. I previously thought that Lexus/Toyota ATF was a rip-off at $6 per quart but this Jaguar ATF situation is just ridiculous.

Where can I purchase this Shell ATF product in the U.S. for a much more reasonable price?

Registered Member
    Member No: 129965 Real_Tech is an unknown quantity at this point Real_Tech's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cheaper Sources for Shell ATF M1375.4 Fluid ?

Last time I checked the Mercedes dealers are selling the fluid for about $20 less than Jag dealers. Still not cheap but it is cheaper. They both use the same ZF 6 speed.

Jon89

Yes | No

Thanks. I will make a note of that.

Is this transmission fluid not available on the open market? Since it is not owned by one particular car manufacturer (and is indeed a Shell product, not a Jaguar or Mercedes product), I do not understand how it could be proprietary and controlled by the dealer parts departments. Can you explain?

Registered Member
    Member No: 129965 Real_Tech is an unknown quantity at this point Real_Tech's Avatar

Yes | No

I think it is more of a demand issue than availability. The trans is supposed to be filled for life and therefore a low demand. Most of the fluid I use is to repair leaks at either the pan seal or electrical connector sleeve and those repairs are relatively rare. It is also a rather difficult and time consuming process to properly fill this trans with the fill hole 2 or 3 inches from the exhaust pipe and it has to be hot and running to fill. We sell a few bottles over the parts counter to independent shops but not a lot. The bottles we have come in Jaguar boxes and the bottles don't mention Shell at all they just have a Jaguar sticker and warning label. If I remember correctly the Mercedes bottles are the same only with Mercedes labeling.

Jon89

Yes | No

Castrol sells a mineral oil-based ATF here in the U.S. called "Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF" for about $5 per quart. Castrol's website shows that this product is currently considered to be a generic replacement for Shell ATF M1375.4 mineral oil in any Jaguar car that came with Shell ATF M1375.4 from the factory. As you would expect, Jaguar does not approve Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and would probably insist that you immediately void your transmission warranty if you use it.

RealTech, what is your opinion on switching to this Castrol ATF product in the event that I decide to do a drain-and-fill on my 6-speed ZF transmission AFTER my Jaguar factory warranty (4 years or 50,000 miles) expires?

I simply can't imagine that the Shell ATF product (at more than $50 a litre) is that much better than the Castrol product, especially when Jaguar recommends Castrol motor oil in all of their engines.

I don't believe that ANY transmission is "sealed for life" and expect that I will have to eventually do a transmission drain-and-fill on my 2005 S-Type 3.0 if we keep it long enough. I certainly don't want to spend more than $500 just on the transmission fluid if a Castrol ATF product is just as good for only a fraction of the cost. The Castrol ATF product costs less than one-tenth of what the Shell ATF product costs, and that is extremely significant to me.

Sorry for my laser-like focus on this topic but I believe that the dealers are ripping off the public big-time with the way they have priced this Shell ATF M1375.4 mineral oil. You are very knowledgeable in this area and perhaps you can convince me otherwise. But if it is indeed a huge rip-off, I want to have a suitable (and much more affordable) replacement ATF product lined up well in advance of any transmission drain-and-fill that my S-Type may need.

As always, thanks for your expertise....

Registered Member
    Member No: 82917 xjrrr is an unknown quantity at this point xjrrr's Avatar

Yes | No

Gents;
    I think things may have changed at Jaguar,,, just had my 112,000km service yesterday and as I plan to keep my 2003 STR had a complete transmission service performed for $395.35cad inclusive of new fluids, conditioners, filter, code check and re-flash...
    Cheers,
    XJRRRR

FloridaJag

Yes | No

Interesting about the service. What oil did the Jaguar dealer use? Did they use the Castrol brand or the other. $395CDN seems kind of cheap to me... (well, it is still expensive, but...)

Registered Member
    Member No: 174593 montoya66 is an unknown quantity at this point montoya66's Avatar

Yes | No

There are so many misunderstandings about the ATF for the ZF 6HP26 it is unbelievable. If you go to the Jag dealership parts department and ask for ATF for a 2004 S type R like I did, the clerk will trot out a bottle of something that looks like lemon cough syrup with an ink jet Jaguar label on the bottle (also saying "mineral oil") for $75 or so a liter. DON'T BUY IT. I used Pentosin ATF1. Pentosin is presently on sale at partsquick.com for $9.50 a liter and is the same fluid ZF uses in their rebuilt units. I have had Pentosin ATF1 in my S type R now for several thousand miles and it has totally transformed the car. The 6HP26 shifts cleaner, quicker, smoother, and quieter than whatever Jag had in there, and I have no other agenda than to pass on my own experience to others.

Registered Member
    Member No: 175199 tbird59 is an unknown quantity at this point tbird59's Avatar

Yes | No

Great information!! Thanks for a VERY worthwhile post!!

User Level 1
    Member No: 191239 knowleeks is an unknown quantity at this point knowleeks's Avatar

Yes | No
    395.00 could be right, Mercedes of Lakeveiw, N.Y. L.i., qoute us 300.00for Trasmission service/drain refill. Also I know place in N.Y., Colvin auto parts, in Merrick, n.y., where i get the Shell m1375.4 foor 10.00 a bottle. Ask for Dawayne 516 379-2420. Secondly, yes I've heard, pentosin will do it. As far as Castrol? If, it's mineral based it should do job, best call castro's 1 800 number n see what they say... as far as warranty, after 50,000 thats gone anyway...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.101.31.32

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information