+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 30637 shadowell is an unknown quantity at this point shadowell's Avatar

Yes | No

Possible bad CCM? Other places to check?

Hi all, used to be a regular on the E23 board, but that car gave up the ghost a while back. I've just snagged a 1989 735iL the first of Jan in really nice shape and am slowly working through the various issues (not too many actually) but have one that's confusing me.

I am getting the Check Control message when the car is started and again when shut off. I seem to have all the OBC functions working, stalk switching through those, etc.. But I have no CCM functions, no warnings, no lights left on, key in ignition, nothing... and no gong at all for anything.

I see the :59, max speed, temp warning and all that come up just fine on the cluster automatically as well.

I have (on a whim since it was an easy thing to do) reflowed the solder on the CCM just to see if it'd help, but I've got the same problem still. I'm guessing that either the CCM is bad, or there's something else I need to be looking at that I haven't thought of.

Any and all advise is more than welcome and very much appreciated!! Gerald
    '89 735iL Black on Black, '86 Volvo 740GLE (POS)

http://www.xmission.com/~kd7olf/bmw.html (ancient and hasn't been touched in years, but...)

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

my website will be your best friend from now on

after you bought a E32. The catchword word is CAPS.
    I would first of all replace the capacitors on the cluster. As far as I know (not the E23 expert) the E23 still has the kind of rechargeable batteries inside the cluster. In case of the E32 and E34 there are capacitors inside, but also these get tired over the years and the cluster is playing up like haunted. Just replace them against new ones.
    Go to my website below

SHOGUN'S TRICKS AND TIPS FOR THE SEVEN SERIES
    Click links and lots of DIY>>>>other DIY sites>>click Johan& Sean, go to electronics>>there you find the info and many pics. In parts it is less than $10, time maybe 1 hour with steering wheel removal.

"Check control" means:
    In case the check control is out of order or there is a fault in the serial interface the check control warns the driver, that there are fault codes which should be informed/indicated from the sensors to the driver, but cannot be shown due to before mentioned reasons.

Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 30637 shadowell is an unknown quantity at this point shadowell's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: my website will be your best friend from now on

Ah yes, I remember quite well the dreaded SI battery issues on the e23.

I had gotten the impression that the caps issue on the e32 affected the cluster in general (gauges and all), and wouldn't mess with just the CCM part of things, but... It'll give me an excuse to change the bulbs in the cluster anyway.

Other than that, not a lot to do on it. Front seat headrest fix (standard cable issue) for both sides, lower control arms (upper bushings appear nearly new, lowers appear mostly missing...), fog washer nozzles (missing), and reattach the headliner and everything I know about at this point will be corrected. Only 104k on the clock as well, so I'm quite pleased so far.

Thanks very much for the info..

Gerald

http://www.xmission.com/~kd7olf/bmw.html (ancient and hasn't been touched in years, but...)

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

nice site you have for the E23

http://www.xmission.com/~kd7olf/bmw.html

Hope you can something for the E32. BTW, On my website there is a

Electrical Plugs: The ALL NEW Shogun WIKI you can enter details for your car

maybe you can add something there too.

thanks and good luckShogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: nice site you have for the E23

Thanks. Rather proud of the no-dash-removal heater core part. Planning on doing a fair amount for the E32 (with pictures this time around) and plan on adding as many resources and discoveries as I can.

Gerald

Gerald Homeyer

Yes | No

Argh... Caps changed, no go.. What else?

Chenged out the caps in the cluster finally, no change for the check control. Did figure out the gong issue (was disconnected) so now is just simply no CCM functions at all..

Any ideas? Also tried a different known good CCM and have the same result (and mine works in his car). Bad board?

Any ideas very much appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information