+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 37283 BrianMWatson is an unknown quantity at this point BrianMWatson's Avatar

Yes | No

Dilemma. Price Appreciation?

Greetings E28'rs. It's been quite a while since I posted. Personal problems have kept my from my car enthusiasm.
    I still have my '87 535is in Cinnabar Red and just got back my E39 from my soon-to-be-ex-wife. She hasn't been maintaining it very well. I'm not in a position where I can have 3 cars and I don't want to get rid of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, as I use it for my hobbies.
    My dilemma is that it appears as if my E28 is appreciating in price. I believe that it's about time, as they have always been my favorite Bimmer. Since the E39 is bound to cost me a lot more to maintain, I'm considering either letting it back to my wife, letting her take care of the deferred maintenance or suffer the condition dinger, or keeping it and dealing with the higher maintenance costs.
    So, my specific question is: Are these gems known to us as E28's starting to appreciate in the collector market? I'm trying to make an informed decision. So, if you can, please help inform me. Thanks.
    Brian M.Watson

THD

Yes | No

Re: Dilemma. Price Appreciation?

I don't know about appreciation... but they surely have bottomed out in terms of depreciation.

The E39 is a great car... better is every way than the e28... except one... cost to repair. The cooling systems are crap in the e39's and the car in general is way more complicated that the e28. The e39 is still higher on the depreciation curve too. The e39 is a much better looking car... though, and if you want (or need) to make a statement... the e39 doesn’t' look old.

Sorry to hear about your divorce... that's just never easy. Good luck with the your e28/e39 decision. If it was me... I would keep the e28.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37283 BrianMWatson is an unknown quantity at this point BrianMWatson's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks THD. I appreciate your kind words. I'm thinking seriously about keeping the E28. I just don't know where I'll be storing it, being that my 3-car garage house in on the market. Now there's a tough sell today, real estate.
    I suppose I'll do a little maintenance on the E39, just in case I decide to keep it. Tough decisions all around.

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

That's why god gave us car covers!

Registered Member
    Member No: 51648 TamsDaMan is an unknown quantity at this point TamsDaMan's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your situation... I will do my best to give you my opinion although it doesn't directly answer your question.

Are these gems known to us as E28's starting to appreciate in the collector market?

According to NADA guides, they appear to be, but that also requires someone willing to pay for it. While the value is going up I don't think there is any demand.

As far as your 3-car situation... This is the way I see it:

Jeep

As you said, it is used for hobbies, it is not going anywhere. Plus it never hurts to have an SUV around for various tasks.

E28

May go up in value. Will get more money LATER.
    Cheap to service (and well maintained).
    Cheap to insure.
    You like it.

E39

Will continue to decline in value. Will get more money NOW.
    Expensive to service (not well maintained). Maintenance will remind you of your ex-wife and be a hassle.
    Costly to insure.

If you drive your Jeep to work anyway, theres no point to have a E39 around for a newish reliable car. If your E28 is a daily driver, you always have the Jeep as a backup.

I say keep the E28 and let the E39 go.

Just my opinion,

Tom
    86 528e

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the great responses, opinions, encouragement, etc. It would certainly be a "no-brainer" if I wasn't a Realtor. The Jeep is a marginal vehicle for my business, and yes, image sometimes is important with new client contacts.
    I love E28's, and have since my first one, an '84 533i. This one has a little body damage that has caused my hesitation in an all out restoration.
    I do have the special BMW racks, with windurfing attachments, so I can get my sports stuff attended to with it. But, I wouldn't take it to Mexico on dirt roads the way I would the Jeep.
    So, it's still a dilemma. You guys have been a help. Thanks again.
    BMWatson

Registered Member
    Member No: 89859 Smcdermott326 is an unknown quantity at this point Smcdermott326's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeah I noticed the NADA appreciation when I got my July 08 tax bill. As said before, the true market value depends on someone willing to buy it. Local buyers are few and far between.

I look at it differently....the value to you driving it and keeping it going is more important. That said, I paid $2K 12 years ago for mine and it is still worth that much to me 12 years later since it is so damn reliable and reasonable to repair. And since I can't get $2k or probably even $1200, I'd just as soon keep it and run it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Well I own a lot of 535is's and regular "i's" and a few M5's. Fact is there is no collector market. Yea they get popular every now and again. But the car is a has been to just about everyone. About the most anyone can honestly see is 5K U.S bucks. Unless a sucker comes along. Then you have the rare ultra perfect condition ones at can get 12K.
    I work on BMWs up to 2009's and is sound advice to keep the 5 for the rest of your life.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well, I took the first step towards re-bonding with my E28. I repaired the motorized head rests. I had a guy come through looking at my house, which is for sale, today. He said "That's a very nice BMW you've got out there." I asked if he was talking about the 1999 in the garage or the '87 in the driveway. He said he liked the '87 535is. He and his wife both drive late model Bimmers and he sounded covetous of my old red "is". Amazing. Maybe it will be the E39 that goes bye-bye. Perhaps I'll even make the 535is roadworthy enough to drive to S.D. this March and shoot the E28 breeze? I'll see what the near future brings. As of now, she's still in my driveway. Thanks again for all of the input.
    Hey gomomma:
    Would you dump the '99 E28 528ia in favor of keeping the '87 535is 5-spd?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information