+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 38775 jason634 is an unknown quantity at this point jason634's Avatar

Yes | No

Chirping sound coming from console

I have an 02 M3, no problems other than the std recalls.

Lately I'm hearing an intermittent chirp or squeal from behind the instrument cluster, above the pedals. Sometimes it's very brief, other times it goes on for minutes and is very annoying. At first I thought it was the door chime that had gone bad, but it works fine (opening door with keys in ignition for example). Alarm, sound sytem, AC, everything works with no problems.

The fact that it's intermittent and random makes me wonder if it's some kind of shorted out component, but what else can make a high-pitched sound back there?

Has anyone heard of this issue? Any ideas?

thanks,
    jason

Registered Member
    Member No: 57671 E36M3owner is an unknown quantity at this point E36M3owner's Avatar

Yes | No

Steering wheel the cause?

Is the sound related to turning the steering wheel? I had that happen on my E36 M3, but not on my '03 E46 M3. I also have it happen when it is cold on my Camry hybrid. On the E36, I solved it by spraying some silicone spray between the steering wheel and the stationary part of the column support. I had heard that some people have used the silicone spray applied to dental floss to direct the silicone down on to the steering column, but I did not use floss.

jason634

Yes | No

Re: Steering wheel the cause?

thanks, but the sound is not mechanical, it's definitely a buzzing kind of electronic high-pitched sound. What could be causing that back there?

Registered Member
    Member No: 41907 02M3 is an unknown quantity at this point 02M3's Avatar

Yes | No

i had this problem. I forgot the part but it is..

behind the climate control/radio. It has something to do with the ventilation controls. It has fins on it. I was told over time the heat causes them to start buzzing. They have a redesigned model. I have the part number so let me know if you need it. I don't have it right now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information