+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 36568 JamesS3 is an unknown quantity at this point JamesS3's Avatar

Yes | No

Doubt I'd keep my 335xi w/o a warranty....

Had a minor incident recently which vividly illustrated, at least to me, why I seriously doubt I'd ever keep a modern BMW without either a warranty or big wallet.

My '08 335xi developed a case of intermittent headlight washers. No big deal, or so I thought. First, the fuse diagram shows a fuse that doesn't exist, which puzzles the mechanic, who I know to be a decent guy. Then, they ID the problem as some sort of headlight module, which is fairly easy to replace, but.......

It took well over FOUR HOURS to program a simple headlight module. I cannot imagine what this would have cost had the car not been under warranty. The dealer estimates several hundred dollars.

This is crazy-- a simple headlight washer requires PROGAMMING?? As much as I hate to admit it, I doubt I'd keep any BMW w/o a warranty. They are just getting too needlessly complex and crazy expensive to repair.

I have 2 years on the lease (I used to always buy). I either CPO this at the end & keep it a full 6 years, get another if the prices aren't too high and economy picks up or it's Subaru time. As much as I like BMW and have owned several since '96 I can't justify 54K + for a 3 series while my 401K languishes, thus requiring me to save even more. They're great cars, but I'd rather retire on schedule.

It's a shame, really. BMW's repair costs are just totally out of line with reality. Simple components like washers & dimmers, etc should NOT require hours of expensive programming. Sounds like "why tech" rather than "high tech".

Registered Member
    Member No: 66360 tna333 is an unknown quantity at this point tna333's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Doubt I'd keep my 335xi w/o a warranty....

If you're gonna keep it and worried about costs, I would have bought it w/o all of frills. Power seats -- pass, headlight washers - pass, idrive - pass etc etc. Keep the car simple and bare bones, makes repairs easier. Find a good shop to do your normal wear and tear upkeep. I think with those steps in mind, overall costs should be more in tune given these cars have less maintainence requirements than the average car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 89637 mlweaver is an unknown quantity at this point mlweaver's Avatar

Yes | No

I feel the same

This is my first lease (same car as yours and also 2 years left to go).

I guess the $54K price includes $10K to $20K of warranty repair costs.Mark W in mid-MO
    2008 335xi coupe
    1993 850Ci 6-speed

2 turbos ..................or 12 cylinders, no waiting!

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Point well taken; got my 330Ci back when you

could get no sunroof (source of many repairs and leaks), manual tranny, and only the sport package. Oh, yeah, metallic paint was extra too. NOTHING else.
    No problems five years later and 58K miles.

BG

Yes | No

Well, maybe even that is too complex

My 2002 530i is as bare bones as could be ordered: manual transmission, no sunroof, no navigation. But already I have needed a new stereo amp, new radio MID display for the infamous disappearing pixels, a bushing on the steering column, some component on the intake system. This is just not a robust car. But it gets >30 mpg on the highway, amazing.

Registered Member

Yes | No

True, but I don't view those items as "frills".

I personally see no point in a BMW without a few toys. Since I cannot afford a sports car AND a luxury car I need both in the same package. True, NAV is a bit of a toy, but I really would prefer a car to have HID lights (can't see w/o them), a moonroof & like headlight washers as a safety item. While I respect that others may seek a BMW for just the driving sensation & would be happy with roll up windows such isn't for me. I find the non Nav equipped interior to be too spartan & plain for my tastes. Again, to each his own.

My issue isn't with the fact that components can require repair--everything can break. My problem is with BMW, who seems to have over complicated even simple things for no damned reason. Who the hell EVER heard of programming a car for freakin' headlight washers! Totally silly. What might have been a $50 relay is not a "headlight module" and hours of progamming.

No warranty=no BMW, at least for me.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Got the car back-with a small door ding and wires

not hooked up.

Totally aggravating. I had NO dings after 14K and discover a small one on the pass side front door right on the crease, by the handle. Still had red paint on it (my car is white). I am VERY friendly with this dealer, so I did not blow up. I mentioned it and they said they'd see what their dent wizard guy can do. It's on a crease, which makes the small mark rather hard to see (good), but then equally hard to repair w/o paint (bad). If the dent wizard guy can't do anything I'll buff it and try to avoid having it annoy me too much.

Wondered why the air inflation controls weren't working & realized after I got home that a wire wasn't connected. Sigh........ Easy enough to fix.

I HATE dings of any kind & have BMW's body side moldings on the car. What a PITA. At least its hardly noticeable. 14K miles & no dings until the car sits at the dealers lot!

330xi

Yes | No

you can remove the red paint w/Magic Eraser

330xi

Yes | No

Adaptive headlight module is $1,200

I had a minor fender bender that cracked the headlight casing that holds it. Headlight clear is fine and unit itself is fine, but you cannot buy the casing by itself and must replace the whole module.
    Since insurance paid for it I let it go, but I wouldn't replace it if I had to pay out of pocket.

Registered Member
    Member No: 109559 Yrralis1 is an unknown quantity at this point Yrralis1's Avatar

Yes | No

I agree

Too many things can go wrong . The engine has raised a few concerns and the technology snag as well -- all adding up to parts and labor time. Plus since BMW's "free maintenance" program hinges on less care and high volume it's hard to establish a personalized service experience . Instead it's mostly in and out and a survey (paraphrasing) "give me a 5 or I fail" .

In my area it just happens that there are some very good private mechanics and tuners many of which pride themselves on keeping customers happy and making the car special . If I keep my M3 that may be my route. When one develops a solid relationship with a repair shop it works for both .They appreciate the business and if the personalities connect the customer spends money and the shop offers preferred pricing .

I am not sure of the "certified" program but that may be a thing to consider if that warranty is similar. With Porsche it is and this is all recent as of August.

BMW may opt to enhance the used car market in this current economy and only time will tell .

Registered Member

Yes | No

I concede the bad luck award to you! Happily!

I do have empathy for your luck. Things seemed to pile onto your car.
    Naturally I have the same engine that you do and I can poke up to 32-33 mpg on the highway if I drive old.
    Agreed we can't protect against everything on these cars. Robust is not a term that is applicable. Too many little niggling things that we could list from the group experience on these boards.

Registered Member

Yes | No

58K with no dings! Yes some might think I'm

one of the nuts that walks from the far end of the parking lot, or parks at the end of the row, close to the wall. I hang around the dealer while my car is infrequently serviced there. But I love to look at my car with the clean beautiful lines; work of art!

Registered Member
    Member No: 18409 jonathann is an unknown quantity at this point jonathann's Avatar

Yes | No

Totally agree and not just BMW

Cars are just too electronic today and most independent service people don't have / can't afford the computers and software to diagnose and maintain.
    It isn't just the frills on these cars - the blinker stalk is electronic - I can just see going in because the stalk fails and they tell you $2,000 for a new motherboard. The brakes have electronic controls and modules which is how they do hill hold for the manual trans.

Several of the problems that I have had, and not just in the first year, have been fixed with software upgrades. Who knows what that would cost out of warranty.

It is too bad and maybe long term experience will drop resale value which would hurt buys and BMW.
    It isn't just BMW - it is certainly all the luxury models and more and more all cars.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That is just NUTS!! A module costs $1200?

No warranty=no BMW, at least for me. If I CPO I could keep it 6 yrs. After that, I'm not taking the risk.

Hey, the Subarus are looking pretty good.....

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

U might research Subaru head gaskets

B4 U dive into that pool. As far as I can tell, they have never solved the chronic head gasket failure on their flat-four engine.

But I agree with the general theme of this string; Just spent nearly a grand to fix broken oil-level sensor and steering angle sensor on our E46. Who needs either one? The dipstick works fine and I use it; and I'll take responsibility for the yaw control of my own car, thank you very much.
    '01 325it Steel Blu./Blk
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

I believe the steering angle sensor interfaces

with the DCT on the E46. The DCT cuts out when the steering wheel is straight.

"It's not who you are, but what you do that defines you"

Registered Member

Yes | No

You won't GET a dipstick on an e90!

Registered Member

Yes | No

You gotta be a real wuss to need hill hold.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

DCT? Double Clutch Tranny?

Am I missing an acronym? Did you mean the DSC stability control system, which certainly is linked with the steering angle sensor?
    '01 325it Steel Blu./Blk
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 18409 jonathann is an unknown quantity at this point jonathann's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: You gotta be a real wuss to need hill hold.

Didn't say I need it - I find it a real pain most of the time - it was an example of even electronics affecting the brakes.

Feel good about insults in a serious thread?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information