+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 166728 mikefreeland is an unknown quantity at this point mikefreeland's Avatar

Yes | No

Brake pads still rubbing

My drivers side front caliper on my '95 xj6 froze recently in some really cold weather, making some nasty noise. After replacing the caliper, the brake pads are still rubbing (lightly) although making a whole lot less noise. I've taken the wheel off to make sure it is the pad making noise and not coming from the wheel bearing, and it is the pad. There is little or no play in the bearing. The guy at the auto parts store suggested it could be a brake line failure. Any ideas?

Registered Member
    Member No: 152231 sparkenzap is an unknown quantity at this point sparkenzap's Avatar

Yes | No

Breke LINE?????

Mike:
    I sure would like to know what the cause - effect relationship exists between brake dragging and brake lines could be. Are you sure he did not say brake LINING, which is what the friction material was called on a shoe type brake.
    As to dragging brakes... You said you replaced the caliper so a hard spot in the sliding mechanism would seem unlikely. I assume the pads were seated correctly when you assembled them. And I assume you greased the sliding mechanism and pins with high temperature grease. If you can't live with turning up the radio, I would take the caliper off and make sure it can slide freely, make sure the long pretension springs are installed corrctly on the outside of the caliper, and just generally look for how any wear is showing on the pads.

User Level 1
    Member No: 190608 iafm is an unknown quantity at this point iafm's Avatar

Yes | No
    brake hose gone bad on the inside ,wont let the fluid return..break loose the bleeder if u can push caliper back in hose bad
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.68.11.104

User Level 1

Yes | No
    no the inside of the rubber line is going bad ,sometimes it causes a oneway effect

User Level 1

Yes | No
    yes the inside of rubber line is rotting and causes oneway effect

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information