+ Reply to Thread
    vl32535

Yes | No

Caliper sticking-HELP

Has anyone had a problem with your brake caliper sticking or know what causes this problem and what's the solution ? The caliper on my 04 M3 is sticking on the passenger side and it is wearing down my brake pads not to mention and enormous amount of brake dust

Registered Member
    Member No: 81720 adsingl is on a distinguished road adsingl's Avatar

Yes | No

How many miles since the last brake job

and caliper maintenance, or how many miles if it's the original brakes? Or, did you just install/have a shop install new brakes - within the last ... 5k miles or so?

In any event, the likely solution is to pull the caliper apart, clean everything, then lube the guide bushings and pad contact points (this latter part is to reduce noise). I'd do both sides unless something specific is found on the problem side - lest the problem develop there in the not too distant future.
    ADS

Registered Member
    Member No: 57671 E36M3owner is an unknown quantity at this point E36M3owner's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Caliper sticking-HELP

I had this problem several times on my E36 M3, but not yet on my E46 M3. It is a common problem if you drive during the winter in the northeast where they salt the roads heavily. The piston gets some corrosion and seizes in the caliper bore. There is a seal kit available to fix it for about $15, but I've not been able to reinstall the piston once I got the new seal installed in the caliper bore. That means replacing the caliper - usually cheaper from Turnermotorsport than your local BMW dealer although some dealers give 10-20% discount to BMW CCA members. The caliper install is reasonably easy. Hopefully your rotor is still OK, but it sounds like you may need new pads.

vl32535

Yes | No

Re: How many miles since the last brake job

The car has 62k on, haven't done a brake job since I got it in 06 pads do look low so I will be changing them..once I determine what's causing the sticking of the caliper. Would this have anything to do with the traction control ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 103022 jimslade is an unknown quantity at this point jimslade's Avatar

Yes | No

Found out I have similar prob.
    Front pads looked ok from the outside but on a rack the inside right pad is gone. I haven't really felt a problem on the road but obviously the caliper hasn't fully opened up for some time.
    Will be replacing rotor+pads and hoping lube will loosen caliper.
    jim

vl32535

Yes | No

What prompted me to look at it, I was getting a wheel vibration that got progessively worse but it didn't happen all the time so when the caliper was heating up ( boy that thing got hot too) it meant it was sticking and the brakes were being applied on that side while I was driving and I was getting excessive brake dust ( more than normal)

stick pads in ADS
    Member No: stick pads in    ADS's Avatar

Yes | No

Make sure to do caliper maintenance not just

There are probably several DIY write ups, try mad russian M3 site, or Pelican parts (E36 procedure is probably close enough).
    Basically make sure you clean the guide pins and lube them, and lube the new pads where they touch caliper and the end-guides - doesn't take much.
    ADS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information