+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad running

Registered Member
    Member No: 101173 oversteer1 is an unknown quantity at this point oversteer1's Avatar

Yes | No

Bad running

Just thought I would post up an experience I had with my 88 730i. It's a German spec car with a manual gearbox. It started to run really rough when we had our 1st cold snap of the year (-30c). I traced it down to the tps not closing on WOT. It did close on idle. The funny thing is that after I found the bad switch I drove it without getting close to WOT and it still ran like crap. I've changed the tps and it is back to normal but I'm curious as to why it would have run badly. The switch is just a NC so how could the computer know until I went to WOT? It annoys me when I can't figure out the why of a fix. Any thoughts? dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 141691 72DC is an unknown quantity at this point 72DC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Bad running

Are you sure it is not ignition related? Try pulling the distributer cap and checking for arcing. In cold weather you can get condensation inside the distributer cap causing arcing between the posts. Also check the rotor arm and HT leads. A break in an HT lead can cause intermittent rough running especially at extremes of temperatures. My dads e32 was running like a 3 legged dog after the winter. We changed the distributer cap and rotor arm and it now runs like a sewing machine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 101173 oversteer1 is an unknown quantity at this point oversteer1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Bad running

I don't think it's ignition as I changed the cap,rotor and wires last summer. Since changing the tps it runs like it always has. The only concern I had was that the tps uses 2 different types of plug depending on tranny type. The auto uses a 6 pin and the manual a 3 pin so I had to cut the wiring harness and splice the wires. The colour code is the same and I left the unused tranny wires shrink wrapped together. Hopefully she doesn't give me any more trouble,at least til spring!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information