+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 83217 justojuice is an unknown quantity at this point justojuice's Avatar

Yes | No

feedback on buying an 05 E46 M3

It's been quite a while since I have posted here and owned and M3. However, with today's market it seems like there are some fine deals on M3s out there, so I'm looking at returning to the M3.

I did a search in this forum, but not much came up in terms of problems (lower sub-frame mount cracks?). My last unit was a 2001, so I had to deal with the bearing recall issue, but it looks like that does not come into play after 2004.

I am considering a 2005, E46 M3 (it was a May build of that year), and wanted to see if anyone could provide some general feedback on what to look for and some issues that may be present in this year.

Thanks in advance!

Justo

Registered Member
    Member No: 81720 adsingl is on a distinguished road adsingl's Avatar

Yes | No

since the search here is notsomuch,

about five pages back you can find:

Faq/coomon probs

Registered Member
    Member No: 171872 jimzM3 is an unknown quantity at this point jimzM3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: feedback on buying an 05 E46 M3

Justo,

Hey I don't know about the 2005's but I have a 2002 M3 Coupe with a six speed and over 84,000 miles on it. I am the second owner as I bought it off of a lease turn in at only 26,000 miles(2005). Since that time I have spent over $7500.00 in regular maintenance and repairs!

That includes three sets of tires so far, two sets of rear axle shaft seals, a couple of Valve adjustments at Inspections 1 and 2, numerous oil changes and AC/Accesory belt changes, Spark Plugs at 60,000, Radiator flush every 2-years, Front brake rotor and pad replacement-plus caliper rebuild as it was sticking. Brake system flush, Tranny and differential fluid changes, Fuel pump and filter replacement, etc. etc. etc.

I love the car, but man, it's just killing my wallet! I am not a wealthy guy (USAF Major with family in tow), just a car nut. If I were you I'd do some homework to make sure that all required maintenance has been done and go for the "Competition Version" M3 with the nice spoked mags and drilled rotors plus suspension bits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information