+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 159984 elytics is an unknown quantity at this point elytics's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ooops,...Monday's update

Teddy,
    I had some electrical glitches on one of my previous bimmer. And one of the effective course of complaint was to send them in writing. I have an accounting the owner's circle of BMWUSA. You can create an account if you don't have one and contact CR that way as well.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Rebuilt head

yes i think getting to the root is one fo the best course of action. [ albeit reading your update it sounds like they could not pinpoint the cause ]..if you want you can give them some options. Typically heads crack due to heat stress or mechanical stress.

Mechanical stress would be due to overtightening of the head bolts or tightening them in an incorrect order . In a busy day at a busy dealership there is a good chance of such an occurrence.

Heat stress is usually due to a lean burning engine or prolonged revving of the engine at high RPM levels. It may have been low on coolant [ because we have a idiot temp gauge ] or it is possible the MAF sensor is dirty or kaput and is causing a lean burn cycle. I would say lean towards a heat stress cause because there are many sensors in the distributor less ignition system which can cause premature explosions or a lean burn.

PS: check the plug rating [ i think our cars has the platinum 4 resistor style but they should be of the right temp rating; hot plugs can cause heat build up at the heads. ]

Registered Member

Yes | No

check for coil TSB..

i just recalled that my dealer had acknolwedged a TSB for coil replacement [ & a TSB for fuel pump malfunction ] which apparently affected 03-04 Z4. It had to do with not having Bremi coils [ or maybe it was the other way around ]. Anyhow incorrect coils would cause surge and cause lean burn .

And next time as a prevetive measure put some Redline Water wetter in the cooling system. It lowers the surface tension of water.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73734 bowlr is an unknown quantity at this point bowlr's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: California

You may want to try an independant mechanic. Mine used to work for BMW and he is really good at his job. I think he is obsessed about cars..He is in Covina, CA.
    2.5i Maldivas Blue, Tan top/interior, Step, convience & Premium packages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information