+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 159984 elytics is an unknown quantity at this point elytics's Avatar

Yes | No

Z4 rear quarter panel replacement

Hello All,
    The driver's rear quarter panel of my 03 Zed4 took a hit 2 days ago in SFO by a Volvo. Her insurance [ Travelers ] has agreed to take care of the claim but i feel i am getting low balled [ one grand ]. The dent is at a spot where the fender straightens into the curve of the wheel well.
    After talking to the dealer [ & as i understand ]; replacing the quarter panel is the best way to restore the originality of the curve & the lines. Travelers adjuster denied my needs & although the body shop is doing it's best to accomodate my needs; there is a deficit of about $400. At this point my options are:
    a.) Talk to the Travelers and make come up with the deficit [ i am willing to sacrifice the rental ].
    b.) purchase the quarter panel [ brane new OEM is $420 ]; have it painted and replace it myself [ Travelrs makes the cheque out to me ].

I don't mind option b; but would anyone know how much work is involved to replace the rear quarter panel; it would really help. PS: I have removed the rear bumper before; and the rocker panel would need to come off but how to get the panel out.

Happy & safe motoring..
    Regards Sean

Registered Member

Yes | No

dent pics

here are some pics of the panel...

Registered Member

Yes | No

dent pics [ wkg ]

..the links should work now

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Had the same happen to my Z3 and got....

one estimate for 1600 including 10 days of a rental car.

The insurance didn't even question the amount and the body shop was able to pull the damage back out and it looks as good as new. When I got the estimate, I asked the body shop about replacing the fender and they showed me what is involved. The replacement of the fender can cause problems down the road for the top so this shop highly suggested the repair vs replacement.

Tell Traveller's that you will file suit against their policy holder to recover every cent that you lay out for this repair.

Scott

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks Scott...

appreciate your help & input. i thought about the same and decided to have the body shop guys pull the dent out. you are right about the replacement and the fit & finish of the original is still original.

regarding the cost the body guy said he can fix it about 3 days for a grand. That's what Travelers estimate. I don't know if it's insurance companies in general or Travelers but i did'nt like the way they dealt with this incident. The initial follow up has been terrific; prompt & courteous; i will admit/give them that.

But their estimate & their inflexibility has been annoying[ for instance they are very adamant i drop the car only on a Monday if i want their rental ; which is for 3 days ]; they were very adamant on not going for a penny above $1055.70 & they kept trying to dissuade me into pursuing my own research or the best course of action..
    oh well..

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 84505 Penguin is an unknown quantity at this point Penguin's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Thanks Scott...

If you wish to escalate, I have found that complaints to the State regulatory agency is one of the few things that gets insurance companies' attention.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

I can look up tonight on the TIS for you...

...just send me an email and I'll send you what I find.

My impression is that it's bolted on and shouldn't be hard at all.
    ---------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)
    2003 Z4 2.5i (my babe's baby)

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

The body shop that I used pointed out...m

some welds. Otherwise, I thought that is was just a bolt on.

Scott

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

I checked and no welding is required

That panel is bolted on. Here's how to remove it and here the clearances for the panels: if you decide to take it a shop, I would just print it out and give it to them. Also you might wanna think about getting a used side panel: the reason is the paint would have faded so you might have less color matching problems. However most good shop have optical color reader that match the color very close an looks just like the rest of the car.

Here's some pix of some of the bolts:

- in the rear, by the trunk:

- 2 nuts hidden behind the door:

- to access the other bolts you'll have to remove the rear panel between the top and the trunk lid. I couldn't find all the bolts but you might be able to access the bolt holding the side panel without removing the whole thing...

- ...the rear bumper...

- ...and the side skirt, which I couldn't find in the instruction

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Interesting. They told me that there is so...m

so I wonder if it is a year of build thing (or model of BMW).

Scott

Registered Member

Yes | No

Also, removing the rocker panel and bumper...m

would add a lot of time to the job and by not installing a new quarter panel, the trunk lid and drivers door would not have to be feathered to match the new paint. Due to the year of my car (2000) and the fact that the paint is in good condition, they not only HIGHLY recommended against the panel replacement but, when I went to get a bid on painting the entire car (the same color) for it's 100K birthday, they again talked me out of it saying that the paint was in too good of shape and that no paint job is as good as the factory paint.

Scott

Registered Member

Yes | No

I think they got confused by a bracket that is...

...welded to the panel. As far as I know no welder was used at the plant after the chassis was assembled.

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Wait, are you talking about your Z3...

...here we're talking about a Z4. Removing the same panel on a Z3 is a joke: lots of people have done it and it's on my to-do list. The 2.8 has a wider butt than the 1.9 but they are swappable: you just need the two fenders and the rear bumper. They are a straight bolt on.

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thank You Gentlemen

Thank You Gentlemen..

Thanks Zeta,
    For the .pdf files & pics. I have saved them and for now i have decided to repair the panel. The primary reason being it holds the sentimental value of the 'original' car and because the dent occurred at a spot where the upper flare line is undamaged; the lower crease line should be restored back to original with minimal damage to the OEM paint and minimal use of bondo.
    I will probably check with the paintless dent repair guys if this is doable.

Registered Member

Yes | No

my email..

is [email protected]

Please let me know if you would ever want fault code diagnosis [ knock on wood though ]

Regards Sean

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks FM ;

i will keep this in mind for sure..i have to drop the car the coming monday; call Travelers to get a reference coupon for the rental from Enterprise.

A Mustang would be sweet but nonetheless having the State Regulatory agency as plan b would deter further cost cutting measures by Travelers.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Since your body shop will drill a series of...m

small holes to pull / stun the dent, very little filler will be needed HOWEVER, I would specify that you do not want the dent filled. Be as [Oops!] as you want. I was.

Scott

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yep, my Z3. Hopefully the Z4 will not get...

wrecked as log as my daughter never leaves the garage. Damn those LA drivers.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information