+ Reply to Thread
    ralphie

Yes | No

from propshaft problems,to front shocker

got the propshaft sorted and the gearbox mounts ,now got a noise at the top of the drivers side shocker,the noise is comeing from the top where it sits in under the bonnet,,,took the bearing dust cover of ,and theres movment up and down and a knocking noise.is it the bearing ,do i have to take the whole front strut of to do the repair,they are LAD SHOCKS ,,,,,, 1990 750i

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

there are no LAD struts in front

either your 750 has LAD = LAD in the rear and normal front struts, or EDC = EDC in front and rear and in rear additionally LAD. LAD is always only on the rear.
    Yes, you have to take the front strut off to get to the shock mounts.
    No other way.
    here
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/front_shocks/front_shocks.html

Not too difficult, I usually do that in 2-3 hours, but you need of course some tools for that.Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

ralphie

Yes | No

Re: there are no LAD struts in front

what part is that i need to repair the job ,is it a bearing thats gone,hope you can help,,,,,,,,,,

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 13814
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Aug 14, 2003 cheung1 is an unknown quantity at this point cheung1's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe just add a washer

I had had a knocking sound there once when I switched from the OEM to a pair of Bilsteen Touring shock inserts. Due to the way the top shaft was machined the threads ended too soon and so the big top nut was not able to compress the entire shaft column. An additional washer filled up the space nicely. In your case if parts have not been recently altered, then you have to find out what has changed the geometry. As for what parts you need to remove, I had some write up on that project (see URL); a difficult step back then was how to remove the big top nut without air tools and I used a small Lisle special tool, a hollow hex nut socket that one can stick a hex driver through. You can buy a set of hollow sockets these days for the same money.
    Patrick C 88 750 159K

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information