+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New owner

Registered Member
    Member No: 10931 mpeyser is an unknown quantity at this point mpeyser's Avatar

Yes | No

New owner

I'm new to this board,but know these cars reasonably well from prev. e-28 M5, e-34 exp. I have a couple of questions before I get started.

SLS units leak - would prefer to keep the car as built w/o spending $900 ea to replace them - any suggestions.

Suspension rebuild... Usually, I replace the UCA bushing with 7 series bushings - Is this req. here or are the M5 bushings an upgrade from the std. e34?

On the last e-34 I owned I relaced stock sway bars with Nuremburgring bars to cut some of the roll when cornering... Is this worthwhile in an M5 or is the stock bar thicker than a std. e-34.

Does a Conforti chip make a perceptable diff.?

Thanks,
    Mark

Registered Member

Yes | No

Anyone rebuild SLS units?

Maximillian has SLS units for $736 - Does anybody rebuild these units?

Sunny5

Yes | No

Re: New owner--welcome

My 02 cents as follows:

1. When you say SLS units---I think you are talking about the rear shocks. There are two options here. Bite the bullet and purchase new shocks. $900 is a little high per shock. If you hunt around the Internet you should be able to get them for in the low to mid $700. This is the preferred option if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time. Also, you can sometimes find a used shock for about $100 or so. It is used however, so there's no telling how long it will be before it leaks. I think keeping the SLS system in tact is preferable on this car. I've had six of these vehicles with the SLS system. The only time I replaced it with a static system---at the dealer's advice---I regretted it until the day I sold the car.

2. I've added the confori chip to five M cars and have noticed an appreciatible difference in power each time. It's probably the cheapest modification you can make on this car with the biggest bang. The conforti chip increases not only power to the wheels, but also your redline limit. For $200 or so, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Good luck and congrats on purchasing the best sleeper sports car around.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: New owner--welcome

Thanks Sunny - I bought a Bavauto conversion kit for the rear and saved around $600 vs. SLS replacement. If they are really awful I'll go back to the SLS system once I've had a chance to drive the car a bit and deal with any other issues it might have.

Mark

CalChris

Yes | No

Re: Anyone rebuild SLS units?

I subbed H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Sports. MUCH better handling than stock. Best mod I have done besides the Comforti chip (which makes a BIG diff)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information