+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 105202 Bimmer1992 is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmer1992's Avatar

Yes | No

Preventing Rock Chips

Hey guys I have a 2007 335i Coupe and Iím taking a road trip this spring and want to take my baby but don't want to get a [Oops!] load of rock chips on the front of the car and the mirrors. I have heard about the clear protectant shield like thing that covers the fascia of the car? Does anyone have any input on this or any other thing that would help that you can't see? And where to buy them at?

Thanks!
    Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 105202 Bimmer1992 is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmer1992's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Preventing Rock Chips

Like these. They seem expensive but do they really work?

bavauto.com
    part number P2114G & P2114I Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, they really work

Google the phrase clear bra to find numerous brands and sources. I self-installed an Xpel pre-cut kit on my E39 and was very happy with it. You may also find local installers that visit dealers and body shops to custom cut and install on-site. Most use a 3M material, which is clear and smooth, and can be treated (wash, wax) like the paint on the car after installation. After hitting a turkey, I had the material replaced on the (new) hood while at the body shop, and the local "Autobahn" installer used a material that was not smooth, so the front end has a real orange-peel look.
    '01 325it Steel Blu./Blk
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Yes, they really work

Cool thanks, is is hard to install? It seems like it would be.Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

767Driver

Yes | No

There are numerous products available,I

have had the 3M material installed on 5 cars and have been extremely happy with their product. There certainly is skill involved in doing the job well.It usually takes the guy I use who does it for his living 3-4 hours. He happens to be very meticulous and takes pride in his work.Without prior experience with this particular material I would be hesitant to do it myself and expect professional results. BMW actually sells their film in most parts departments but probably charges a premium for the labor. Luminar and Ventureshield are a couple of other reputable brands.It will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $500 for material and labor but it is worth the protection provided!

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Installation

is a bit tricky. Briefly, you spray soapy water on the car, then peel the backing off of 1/2 of the film and lay it down. The soapy water lets you slide it around to align; Then you peel the backing off of the other half and lay it down on the water. With the film lined up, you start to squeegee from the center outward, pushing the water out from under the film so it tacks down onto the car. With care, you push any air bubbles out to the edge and keep the piece aligned on the car. The trickiest part is covering creases and the adjacent compound curved surfaces. The film is stretchable somewhat, and by the time you get the hang of making it conform to the creases, you may have lost some of the adhesion or trapped an air bubble or two, which can be released by making a pinhole. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again myself, but everyone is different and you are risking ruining a few hundred dollars worth of material.
    '01 325it Steel Blu./Blk
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Installation

Ya i will let professional's install it. So i know its done right. Headlights and foglights seem easy to do though.Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Did the clear bra and headlight protection thing

myself. Headlight job is easy for the patient medium skilled DIY'er.

Clear bra would be best for advanced DIY'er. Cost of pre-cut bra is around two hundred for important parts. About $50 for the headlight kit with much thicker and more protective plastic.

If you're serious about DIY, we could give you many more details.

BG

Yes | No

Xpel headlight film has been great 7 years

I have not tried Xpel over the front of my hood but I installed the headlight shields on my 2002 530i in early 2002. The film is still intact and clear. It definitely helped protect one of the fog lights because I can see a rock pit at the very edge of the film, like a crater. Highly recommended.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Xpel headlight film has been great 7 years

Cool thanks!Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information