+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 94541 albiwan is an unknown quantity at this point albiwan's Avatar

Yes | No

Lighting up like a christmas tree.....

I just paid a ton of money to have my local independent repair shop (who is generally reputable) do Inspection II, and to diaganose a "service engine soon" code. Was told the thermostat was causing the service engine light, and that I should replace the water pump since the car has 75,000 miles.

I took the car home after having emptied my wallet. Next day, after work, I turn on my car and there are three new lights on the dash. One is the "brake" light, another is the stability control light, and another is the ABS light.

Next morning, all three were off.

I called the shop, and they immediately went on the defensive, saying there was no way on earth any of the lights could have been related to anything they did (which involved replacement of stuff under the hood, and inspection of stuff at the four wheels.)

I was also told that the likely culprit was the DSC control unit, which is a $1200 part.

Made me feel like leaving the car in Compton with the keys in it.

Opinions? Is it possible that this is related to anything they did? Or are they correct in telling me this is totally independent, and coincidental, that a light that had never, ever shown up before, suddenly goes off one day after they had my car in their shop for an entire day?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Lighting up like a christmas tree.....

Sorry; it's a 2001 530

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Lighting up like a christmas tree.....

sorry again; wrong board. will post in e 39 board. thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information