+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Jay Atl

Yes | No

SMG Fluid ????

My friend just bought an 04' 3.0 with the SMG ...... what does it have for fluid, and when does it need to be changed ?
    where do you chk the fluid ???

Thanks Jay

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

The SMG tranny is service free. BMW used...

a lifetime fluid. However...

If he has a ton of miles on the car, or is experiencing shifting problems, then I suggest that you contact Bavarian Auto and ask them which fluid they recommend. Then you can contact this forum about how to do it.

There is no tranny dipstick so there is no way to check the level other than via the fill plug.

If you are in the Modesto, CA area, I'd be happy to let you use my lift.

Scott Pettit
    www.zscca.org

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Bavarian Auto web addy is....

www.bavauto.com

joel

Yes | No

Re: Bavarian Auto web addy is....

I've never worked on the smg on either of my Z4's because I never had any reason to.

Both vehicles have been driven mercilessly. First was sold with about 22000 total miles, 10,000 of which were on track; second we still own with about 18000 total miles, maybe 8000 track.

Because I've never worked on the smg, I could be incorrect, but I believe the smg control hydraulic units DO NOT SHARE fluid with the transmission itself. After examining the url with the working diagrams, I cannot see how it could be otherwise. In other words, I BELIEVE the trans oil could be changed in the usual way and take the usual trans oil while the smg oil probably should only be checked and topped off as necessary at the smg reservoir which appears to be near the firewall.

As I said earlier, I've done neither to my cars so I have no doubt a normally driven car could go the life of the car with no service. Just to give you an idea of the level of use my current 18000 mile car has received, we've used/replaced about a dozen sets of HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKE PADS, 3 or 4 sets of brake discs, the rear differential mount bushing, both front shock tower to firewall braces broken, and all 4 wheel bearings...engine, trans, and diff dandy so far!!! Trans and diff oil never touched.

Jay Atl

Yes | No

Think I'll leave it alone then ......

joel

Yes | No

Re: Think I'll leave it alone then ......

good thought...but I thought you said "my friend" just bought an smg.

Sounds like the typical line at the shrink's office!!

Jay Atl

Yes | No

Wow, Bavauto says

Its takes that Pentosin 11s fluid they use in the hydraulic suspensions and power steering on some of the big sedans, wow ..... that stuff seems pretty thin for a gearbox, but, I guess.... whatever !

Registered Member

Yes | No

Check with your dealership also.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Wow, Bavauto says

I would check with Redline what fluid the recommend. I've used their product in all my transmission and they have always worked great for me.

If you'd like I can look up on the TIS the instruction for you: I've never worked on an SMG so I'm not sure how easy or hard is to replace fluid. Keep in mind however, that the SMG uses an hydraulic system to select the gear: that's could be a reason why it require a dual purpose lubricant.
    ---------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)
    2003 Z4 2.5i (my babe's baby)

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Did a quick search...

...and cam across this.

It mentions "air in the lines" so you might wanna leave it alone. I'm gonna look up the TIS what it says and report back. How many miles on the car? If less than 100K I would just leave it alone...
    ---------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)
    2003 Z4 2.5i (my babe's baby)

Jay Atl

Yes | No

Thanks, I just

thought if it were easy and cheap I'd drop the fluid out and replace it, I've got the car up on my lift at home... the car has 60K on it, my friend found it at Carmax, so we don't know much about the history of the car ........ seems to run and drive out fine, so I think I'll just leave it alone !
    The noisy rear tire may very well turn out to be a noisy wheel bearing I'm thinking though ......... Wheel bearings shouldn't be bad at 59K

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information