+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 39024 mieyekee is an unknown quantity at this point mieyekee's Avatar

Yes | No

Heater Core Problem

Need advisement on repairing my heater core. Recently I took my 1990 BMW 735iL to my mechanic for an look-see and was told that my heater core needs to be replaced. I knew that just wanted confirmation! Big Bucks! $$$..they want.

My plan is to do the repair myself, but my 1st choice is to try the quick and easy fix by trying a coolant sealant like "Blue Devil" ($60 Bucks) to see if that will work. Can anyone give me some advise on whelter these products work and should I try it on my car?

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

do not use coolant sealant

might block also other parts in the system, including engine coolant bores.
    See here
    http://www.b
    immer
    boar
    d.com/f
    orums/po
    sts/454565/

and use the search there with 'heater core'
    Patrick C750 has also posted pics how to block the heater core for a while till he found time to repair the heater core.Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Michaelt

Yes | No

Re: do not use coolant sealant

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Heater Core Problem

No... No "miracle in a can" works. This is a do it right or don't do it at all. Unless the car's coolant was neglected and or the radiator is clogged up, or you have put some sort of radiator stop leak in recently I suspect your mechanic is not familiar with the car's heating system and the core is not in need of replacement. When a heater core goes in out of these cars you junk it.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 13814
    Inner Circle ©158 since: Aug 14, 2003 cheung1 is an unknown quantity at this point cheung1's Avatar

Yes | No

I replaced heater core four months ago

Just timely for the winter. Before that I isolated the leaky core from the main engine during the summer. The number of pairs of electrical plugs to disconnect is below ten, so label them properly and you'll be all right. Also, I did not remove the dash. Nor did I remove the tube frame on the driver side. The tube frame on the passenger side extends across the heater core so when you remove that frame you can remove the ten or so tiny metal clips around the black plastic door (12 inch x 10 inch). Remove the black door and you can see the three pipe endings and the heater core itself. Search for instructions with photos on Shogun's site.Patrick C 88 750 159K

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information