+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 172140 KCKIM74 is an unknown quantity at this point KCKIM74's Avatar

Yes | No

Not sure why my key won't lock/unlock doors?

Bought a used, 93 325i. Seems there was some jerry-riggin done to the car, that somehow was missed when the hubby bought the car for me (it's the thought that counts, right?).

First off, the key fits in the front doors, but will not unlock/lock them. Planning on getting an alarm system (with starter) and I'm fairly confident that the remote will allow me to finally be able to lock the car, even though the key is useless on the doors. Note-the windows both go up/down, but the speakers also seem to be disconnected/not working!?!?

Second, the person who installed the radio jerry-rigged a bunch of wires, and had them hidden along the seam (tucked in) and had speaker wires running into the glovebox, where there are two 3.5in speakers, that barely work. It appears it's a great (Alpine) stereo, but when you turn the volume up, the numbers go down, and there is hardly any volume (allbeit the speakers are in the glove box).

***I'm seriously considering replacing both front doors, since neither the speakers, nor the door locks work****

Thirdly, someone tried to break into the trunk (so the previous owner said) and the cylinder lock needs to be replaced. I called the dealership and got a quote... Question is... how easy is it to replace? Is this something that I should pay to have done, or can a female with a little technical savvy get-r-done?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Registered Member
    Member No: 89637 mlweaver is an unknown quantity at this point mlweaver's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Not sure why my key won't lock/unlock doors?

Sounds like a bit of a mess, sorry.
    First of all, there is a forum specific to your car model (1993) which is the E36 forum. You will probably find 1)more members and 2) more specific answers there.
    I used to have an E36 3 series, and it has a central locking system that does not tolerate aftermarket add-ons. I suspect you will spend a lot of time and money chasing parts and re-keying locks if you try to do this yourself. You will also spend a lot of money to have a BMW dealer return everything to stock condition, but that is what I suggest.
    The E36 is perhaps the most frequently modified BMW model right now, so you might be able to get answers on the internet, but be prepared to do a lot of searching!
    Good luck! Wish I could be more helpful ...Mark W in mid-MO
    2008 335xi coupe
    1993 850Ci 6-speed

2 turbos ..................or 12 cylinders, no waiting!

Registered Member
    Member No: 172140 KCKIM74 is an unknown quantity at this point KCKIM74's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Not sure why my key won't lock/unlock doors?

Thanks, ByMW... First time posting, so not sure I was directing my question in the right forum!?!? Guess I'll try this in the E36, as you suggested! Thanks for your advice! I'm leaning towards replacing the doors and getting an alarm system, and having a professional install a stereo with speakers. Car is great (I think) mechanically, and just want the rest of it to match up! Had it only a few short weeks and love the car, even with the *issues*! Thanks again...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information