Background:
I am an owner of a 2004 Z4 3.0 (with 141,000 miles).
I have serious and unusual mechanical problems with my Z4 and considering to trade in for a 1 series convertible maybe in the near future, (I am also pending a response from customer relations).

I appologize if this seems like a dumb question, but jumping from a Z4 to a 1 series, does that seem like a step in the right direction? I have yet to test drive one but I am curious about the feel between the 128i and the 135i? And lastly in comparison to the feel vs a Z4?

I know it may seem like comparing apples and oranges and I might even step into another Z4 (however, with a little reluctancy due to the unfortunate whipping I've endured on repairs), or possibly ride this out until the new Z4 comes out.

Some of my friends have suggested to stay clear of BMWs and buy a different more reliable car "Japanese," yuk!...Honestly I have test driven some others in the same price range (I don't want to bash any makes or models online). Yet none of these new cars made me smile as much as my Z4. I am assuming that when I test drive the 1 series I will feel the same. I guess what I am trying to say is that once you buy BMW it is very hard to drive anything else. Thanks for reading.