+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 170800 Asus is an unknown quantity at this point Asus's Avatar

Yes | No

Balance problem with upgraded brakes

I have a '71 2800CS that has 3.0CS brakes (vented discs front and rear with rear 3.0 semi-trailing arms). Although the hydraulic system doesn’t leak since I rebuilt the calipers, I have poor balance with much less braking in the rear than expected. I suspect that either the proportioning valve is defective or the master cylinder is either defective or incorrect. I don't know anything about the replacement history of the current master cylinder.

Can the master cylinder be identified by external characteristics? Will using a 2800CS disc/drum brake master cylinder with the 4-wheel disc brake system cause this brake imbalance?

Could this problem be caused by a defective proportioning valve? Can the brake proportioning valve be cleaned or rebuilt?

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 156396 bmwcs3 is an unknown quantity at this point bmwcs3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Balance problem with upgraded brakes

If it was my car, I would switch to either the 3.0CS master cylinder or one from an E12 5 series or early 6 series.

I've never heard of a proportioning valve going bad.

When you did the conversion, did you replace the rubber brake lines. They swell internally with age and cause odd problems.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information