+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 141049 dschag is an unknown quantity at this point dschag's Avatar

Yes | No

a really tough choice

I open myself up to all the assorted geeks, experts, and purveyors of wisdom regarding the choice I am considering. I have a 2001 M3 with 125k miles. I bought it new, in 2001 with a healthy premium. I absolutely LOVE the car. Never do I drive it without thinking how much enjoyment I get from it. I am in the middle of a capital project, which keeps me from buying a new m3, but can't fathom the idea of not experiencing the daily pleasures of driving an m3. Enter a 2002 m3, dinan equipped, for ~$29k. Wondering whether I should buy the offered 2002, which has 45k miles, plus dinan, and then sell my 2001? My 2001 runs great with a history of very few problems. The 2002 has the nice dinan package (dinan wheels (+++), tower braces, exhaust, intake chamber, and chip) but is on its third owner. Super clean exterior but some rough areas in interior. Recent problem with catalytic converters. What do you think about staying with original, trusted, 2001 with 125k miles versus buying unknown with 45k miles? What do you think I could get for a 2001 m3 with 125k miles? Serious offers only...(my wife did not understand this, so let me explain: I am just making a joke about most car ads). Thanks. Dan

Registered Member
    Member No: 21850 jimdrivas has a little shameless behaviour in the past jimdrivas's Avatar

Yes | No

It is a tough choice....

29K for a 2002 seems high, even with Dinan stuff, which for all practical purposes is worth zero, especially if you don't want all that stuff. With cat problems, they could be caused by the Dinan stuff...software or intake or both. If that car was $25K or less, then I'd go for it as you'd have $4K off the price that could be used for repairs. Since it's on its 3rd owner, how was the car driven?...Trashed by a very young driver; tracked every weekend; any accidents?

For a 2001 with 125K miles, book value will be low because of the miles. You know your car and the early '01 turned out to have very strong motors. Is your car one of the early Laguna Seca Blue cars?....those had exceptional engines.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: It is a tough choice....

man, you are tracking with my thinking. I don't know about the blue series, but i did track my car at laguna seca early on and it ran great. that really is the issue: i LOVE my car and trust every thing about it. How do I balance what I know versus what appears to be superficial (low miles, Dinan, etc.)? Muchas Gracias, De Rien, Mahalo, etc.

edinva

Yes | No

I would rather have a well maintained high milage vehicle which I know it's history than "an unknown product". I doubt that you can get a price which represents the true value of your car. Someone did all the Dinan upgrades for a reason; i.e. run the "Dog _____" out of it. I would keep the one I have and wait until I could afford a true upgrade. Good luck!!

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 9000
    Inner Circle ©53 since: Feb 12, 2012 zoli-007 is an unknown quantity at this point zoli-007's Avatar

Yes | No

Unless you go up to an 06 keep your 01

the 2002 is not gonna be any different than yours minus the dinan stuff.

Also, I dont think you will get very much for your car with those miles and year.

How bout a rebuild of yours? Freshen up the suspension and maybe do some of your own mods to it?

Registered Member
    Member No: 18309 subcrit is an unknown quantity at this point subcrit's Avatar

Yes | No

I TOO STRUGGLE

Dan,

I too struggle with keeping my 2001 M3 convertible all of the time for want of something newer. I am the second owner of this M3 and I have kept it in excellent condition, inside and out. I have 65K on mine. The best part about this M3 is BMW replaced the engine under warranty at 45K due to a spun bearing. I wanted to trade it in for a 2009 135I Coupe. Unfortunately, I felt this was a step down, and they would not give me what I wanted for my M3. I wanted well over $20,000 and a ride on the space shuttle. I did not get either. So I just decided to keep my M3 and I bought a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. As a devout BMW owner, this bordered on heresy, however, I can tell you in spades, this G8 is a poor man's M5. It has an LS3 Corvette engine with 415 HP and 415 foot-pounds of twist. It was also less than the 135I. Now I have my cake and eat it too.
    Cheers

Registered Member

Yes | No

My understanding is that the true vulnerability to longevity for modern cars are the electronics, which are not usually replaced with an engine rebuild. so for those who will endulge me, or similarly thinking people, what do you think of these two alternatives? One, rebuild engine and do all the good things to the car that I never originally did due to warranty, etc., such as muffler, chip it, i.e., add horse power, etc. Or option two, swap out a newer whole engine with low miles. It looks like whole m3 engines, such as out of a wreck, go for about $4k plus labor ($?). That way you get a factory engine and comparably newer electronics. Any thoughts? dan

Registered Member
    Member No: 73564 naveedafridi is an unknown quantity at this point naveedafridi's Avatar

Yes | No

+1

Porsche 987S
    E36M3 -sold
    E46M3 -sold
    E46330Ci -sold
    E46323i -sold

CBsaksiri

Yes | No

Just buy some new wheels for your car as a treat:)

Registered Member
    Member No: 81720 adsingl is on a distinguished road adsingl's Avatar

Yes | No

3rd owner + Dinan parts probably = beat to death

125k is halfway to needing a rebuild if you change the oil every 5k.
    My guess is your car is worth about 15k, the 2002 maybe 20, 22 tops. You never get the money out of upgrades, especially as the car gets older, it's more like if 2 cars are the same price and quality and one has upgrades you like, then it tips the scale. Pristine 03's and 04's with lower miles are going for 25k fully optioned.

ADS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information