+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 135025 norcale28 is an unknown quantity at this point norcale28's Avatar

Yes | No

having a no-start situation w/my 535is. it began

about 5-6 mos ago. it began intermittently. it would turn over but nothing else. after a few days it would start right up. i replaced the plugs and wires and it seemed to get better. not so. now it won't start at all. just turns over. i checked the #1 fuse-it's fine. switched out the main relay w/another. still nothing. i disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator and fuel is pumping out. from reading other posts i was considering swapping out o2 sensors and the map sensor (?) i'm a wknd mechanic and don't have a real working knowledge on electrical. i can follow instructions, however. any help would be appreciated. thank you

mrmojorisin

Yes | No

Re: having a no-start situation w/my 535is. it began

no start at all as in the starter doesnt operate or it operates but engine will not crank?

ground cable and cable to starter from battery are a good cheap place to start...

Registered Member
    Member No: 135025 norcale28 is an unknown quantity at this point norcale28's Avatar

Yes | No

as i mentioned, the car will just turn over. i changed out the starter so i don't think it's the problem.

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Nope no map sensors on this car. Check the cap and rotor especially where the rotor rides on the cap. Cap and rotors on these cars do just what your describing.

Mrmojorisin

Yes | No

Re: having a no-start situation w/my 535is. it beg

Just replaced my starter, ground cable, and battery to starter cable. And no start. Cranks great but nothing else. New proper Bosch plugs 6 months ago and I'm getting fuel too. Cap tight to rotor also as mentioned below. This is driving me nuts. Any luck yet norcale28?

Mrmojorisin

Yes | No

Swapped #2 relay and cranked right up

Registered Member
    Member No: 89437 bwm1 is an unknown quantity at this point bwm1's Avatar

Yes | No

my starting issue was due to a weak coil, the car would not start in cold temps.

Registered Member

Yes | No

problem solved!! it was the two crank position sensors or as they are called in the bentley manual (chap 8, 4.3), reference sensor & speed sensor. they are located on the driver's side of the transmission bell housing and wind their way up to the engine bay on a bracket right behind the idle air stabilizer valve. usually one is gray and one is black. it's an easy fix. only two bolts and two clips to loosen. took me 30 min. make sure that you replace one at a time to avoid crossing the sensors. fired up the first time. after all those months of sporadic starts and no starts i'm glad it's over. i thought i'd have to take it into a mechanic for a diagnostic. i actually used ask.com; gave them the syptoms and received the diagnosis. i'm so juiced that i washed and waxed my baby.

mrmojorisin

Yes | No

way to go! someone should compile a list of items to check for possible solutions to problems.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

I think there is but it's located on another

board.

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

SO simply you had bad/broken sensor wires. This is yet another thing I space on since I automatically check this out on a no start situation. Its just another subconscious thing I do. Yes these plugs get brittle and crack easily usually due to an inpatient person unwilling to take the time to use a small pick and back off the lock clip before taking off the valve cover, instead they he/she just pushes it aside with the intake support arm. Every time I get near those connections I unplug them to almost completely remove the chance this exact thing from happening.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information