+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 129050 caer is an unknown quantity at this point caer's Avatar

Yes | No

Picking up 2000 740i M-sport today

Picking up my new ride today, bought a 2000 M-Sport 740i from a seller in the DC area. 88k miles, all the toys.

It's been inspected and had some minor things fixed. Shakedown cruise is going to be from DC to Charleston, SC. Wish me luck.

BigBimmer

Yes | No

Congrats! We look forward to your report.

Registered Member
    Member No: 129050 caer is an unknown quantity at this point caer's Avatar

Yes | No

Great first cruise...

The drive went great. 600 miles on my first day in a 740, and I'm completely delirious about the purchase.

I declined to have some work done on the rear control arm(s?) before I picked it up, as the inspecting mech felt it could wait. I did think I felt a bit of a shimmy now and then, but the M-sport suspension is so stiff that it could have been road problems. I95 could benefit from some work here and there.

Overall, the M-Sport suspension is much stiffer than I expected, which is great.

But I didn't push the car much as I was using the previous owners plates to get home and I didn't want to have to explain that to the authorities.

The computer says I got 26 mpg for the trip. That seems way better than what I would have expected. Is that normal?

I'm just going to drive it for awhile, but the only things I really want to do is update the computer/nav display/radio/cd player/bluetooth/ipod interface to the most up-to-date stuff available.

Is BMW still giving friendly warranty service on the instrument pixel problem? I've got a few issues there. Everything else seems very together.

Registered Member
    Member No: 18520 Hughes is an unknown quantity at this point Hughes's Avatar

Yes | No

It's a Sport, sport. Enjoy the heck out of it!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 18520 Hughes is an unknown quantity at this point Hughes's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Great first cruise...

Ahhh, I remember the first cruise in my 740 Sport, it was friggin great! Playing with the Steptronic tranny was nice too!

That mileage is pretty close to right. Allow a bit of plus/minus depending on if the tires are spec, and things like that.

If you and your mechy have gone through her thoroughly, there's nothing left to say except have fun! I've had mine for 4 years or so now, and have had very few concerns overall. New batt, alt and power steering hose and that was about it. Although I am currently chasing down an unknown electrical gremlin that is driving me nuts.

I've thought about selling her numerous times for one reason or another, but in trying to figure out what I would replace her with within reason, I can think of NOTHING else that fills the part.

In closing, I STILL LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 136758 andersonr is an unknown quantity at this point andersonr's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Picking up 2000 740i M-sport today

congrats enjoy your sport package post some pic's

Registered Member
    Member No: 164242 Steeltag is an unknown quantity at this point Steeltag's Avatar

Yes | No

Great story of yours!!! I"m encouraged by it too! I"ve had mine for 10 months almost....loving it!!!! ( 750IL )

CMT

Yes | No

Yeah I am just blown away by this car. I had no idea they were this much fun, I just always assumed they were the big boring bimmers until I had to start looking for a car that I could safely put my family in.

It's almost a split personality: She's a very well mannered car until you slap the steptronic over to sport mode and drop the hammer. Then she just gets downright angry.

About the only thing I want to do is update the computer/nav to the mkIV/widescreen thing and put in the bluetooth and the Ipod interface. I was lookin at the article about putting in a paddle-shift steering wheel but so far I really don't feel like that is necessary.

And I guess there is that ESS supercharger kit if I ever do start to get bored with it. But its already got plenty of grunt.

Of course, there is no such thing as too much horsepower. There is, however, the problem of not enough grip.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information