+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 146739 andwhysee is an unknown quantity at this point andwhysee's Avatar

Yes | No

What happens if I don't fix catalytic converter ??

SES indicates catalytic converter needs to be replaced. this will cost over $4000. what happens if i don't repair or replace ccatalytic converter ? just bad emissions but car will run fine right??

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©42 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't you have smog testing in NY?

We can't register our cars if they don't pass smog. Here a member of our local club found a shop who replaced his for a fraction of the cost. Perhaps you could find a shop that could install a replacement for you.

Viv
    Northern California
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/PS2s/Aux. adapter/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

Mike Levy

Yes | No

Oh yeah, CA emissions laws

We have the stringent CA laws, minus the CARB [Oops!]. Cats aren't there or don't function, the car will fail and there are VERY large fines. That $4k is gonna look like pocket change compared to what you're gonna pay the government for [Oops!] with emissions equipment (which BTW can also include jail time).

Mike Levy

Yes | No

In other words.......

If you can't pay, you can't play. Go buy something cheaper to keep on the road.

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Get the code read. It could be the post-cat>>

O2 sensor. Replace that first to see if the problem goes away.

If the cat is clogged, it will diminish power, and maybe cause the engine to run hot, due to back pressure.

How does SES signify that the cat is bad?
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 25422 larrychew is an unknown quantity at this point larrychew's Avatar

Yes | No

I think there were a number of posts that...

mentioned that the inexpensive non-factory catalytic converters have a short life span. They may not be worth the money.

Chris_TN

Yes | No

Catalyst Inefficiency

On our 540, in a non-emissions state (just don't want the light on constant), I got two "spark plug un-foulers" for each side (4 total). Put two of them together and drill out the inside one. Screw your POST CAT O2 sensors into each set and then screw that into the exhaust. It will lower the amount of exhaust that the sensor reads and make the light stay out once cleared.

Remember, the post-cat O2 sensors are only there to read if your cat is working correctly.

We bought the car with after-market cats, which do not work up to what the car expects, so it throws the code after a few miles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73612 PeterBivo is an unknown quantity at this point PeterBivo's Avatar

Yes | No

$4k? If u have a V8, here 'ya go. 50% off:)

Registered Member
    Member No: 65681 66.cobra is an unknown quantity at this point 66.cobra's Avatar

Yes | No

no, think of sticking a potato in your exhaust..

a clogged exhaust, muffler or catalytic converter will reduce power from your engine as it will not be able to dump the gases. burn more gas, get less power, clog the converters even more. it is a bad cycle.
    "I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED"...-Dad
    "BMOC KICKS A$$"........................-Roland

Click the picture for my Cardomain site.

mgattmch

Yes | No

Catalytic Converter Life Expectancy?

Just curious, what should we expect in terms of life expectancy (years or miles) for the original BMW 540 catalytic converter?

Registered Member
    Member No: 71563 kbud is on a distinguished road kbud's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the Magnaflows and have yet

to come close to ever failing an emissions test.

just sayin

K-Bud ([email protected])
    Baltimore, MD

99' BMW E39 540iA Sp. (Prod. 11/98)
    Titanium Silver/Black
    04' Lexus GX470 (Prod. 10/03)
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray
    04' Lincoln Navigator aka "King Kong" (Prod. 12/03)
    Black/Tan
    05' Primo Scooter 49cc's Red/Silver

Roadfly Member #71563 est. 06/03
    BMWCCA Member #312125 est. 04/03

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lil K-Bud's 1st Ride...Lil Blue4U, get your pink slip ready, I'm gonna toast ya!

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/OE Resonator, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

Unclewiggly

Yes | No

same here.. never failed... magnaflows installed..

K-bud, just wondering what ever happened to your abs module i rememebr you having an issue a whilllllle back.. im on that same boat i just started a new thread.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©42 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

What lifespan are they talking about? 1 yr? 5yrs?

I believe this guy spent $700 instead of $6K. He could get quite a few at $700 and still not hit the $6K mark.
    I'm just curious.

Viv
    Northern California
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/PS2s/Aux. adapter/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

It's not gonna fix itself.

Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    Slower Traffic Keep Right
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

Registered Member
    Member No: 166191 E39_silver is an unknown quantity at this point E39_silver's Avatar

Yes | No

What are the DTC codes?

Do you have the DTC codes that indicate you need a cat? Or do you just trust your mechanic? Because $4K is way to much. Plus emmissions goes beyond a cat.

Registered Member
    Member No: 71563 kbud is on a distinguished road kbud's Avatar

Yes | No

i bit the bullet and bought a new one from the

dealer with my bmwcca discount for about $450 i think and contacted bmwna about the issues everyone has and how upset i was etc etc. they only made me pay for 1/2 labor to have it reconfigured or programmed at the dealer.

still not happy to this day but it is what it is.

think it shouldbe a safety hazard that bosch you be sued over on every car they make em for. its ridiculous and i cannot believe a class action suit has never been filed.

K-Bud ([email protected])
    Baltimore, MD

99' BMW E39 540iA Sp. (Prod. 11/98)
    Titanium Silver/Black
    04' Lexus GX470 (Prod. 10/03)
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray
    04' Lincoln Navigator aka "King Kong" (Prod. 12/03)
    Black/Tan
    05' Primo Scooter 49cc's Red/Silver

Roadfly Member #71563 est. 06/03
    BMWCCA Member #312125 est. 04/03

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lil K-Bud's 1st Ride...Lil Blue4U, get your pink slip ready, I'm gonna toast ya!

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/OE Resonator, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

Registered Member
    Member No: 17233 kens540 is an unknown quantity at this point kens540's Avatar

Yes | No

Same here . . . just passed VA emissions

with 2 bottles of techron in a 1/4 full gas tank, run up to 80mph for a min or two, to get nice and hot . . . passed! Definitely worth the effort.
    Ken

'97 540/6
    Jet Black
    50% Tint
    Shadowline Trim
    M5 Rear Sway
    M5 Rear Trunk Spoiler
    M5 Gunmetal Staggered Wheels
    BMW Aerodynamic Front Spoiler
    e36 M3 (short) Shifter
    Supersprint Hartge Exhaust
    Magnaflow High Flow Cats
    Koni Shock/H&R Sport Spring Pkg
    Brembo Rotors w/ AXXIS Deluxe Pads
    Hella (Euro) Halogen Angel Eyes
    Clears @ 4-Corners

Glen

Yes | No

It's not rocket science!!!!

I've taken old cats out and replaced with new ones. All I do is find one that will fit dimensionally. I just did this on a friends Skyline which he imported from Japan and had no CAT. It passed our emission test with no problem. I think he paid about $75.00 for the cat. I even built it with flanges so it is removable, so he can just throw in the straight pipe when he wants.
    My point is... you should be able to find a shop that can do this without a problem, or a huge bill. The way I see it if the rest of the exhaust isn't full of holes why not just replace the cats. That being said sometimes cats are a weird shape which may makes it harder to find a suitable replacement. It looks to me like the cats on the 540 are a standard shape so I can't see a problem finding something that should fit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information