+ Reply to Thread
    DeepPurpleFan

Yes | No

Fix, Sell, Or Dump

My 87 535is (115k, VERY good body (before the hit), rear wing and air dam, fog lights) got rearended to the point both rear quarters got wrinkled. The fuel pump got damaged, I fixed that and the car drives but now it makes grinding noise and vibrates at speeds between 10 -15. Both the noise and vibration come somewhere from the rear. Sounds very mechanical (rear end, driveshaft???) Any suggestions as of to fix, sell, or just donate?

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

They are getting hard to find now. The good ones

either arent for sale or r too expensive...the others are junk. Possibly the best all around BMW ever produced(85-88)...IMHO. 6er has more style, 7er has more class...but the 5er is just a great all around car. Again My o2

rwd535

Yes | No

Re: Fix, Sell, Or Dump

Condolences. So you're me last year. Rear ended, the car was dependable and I luv E28s. If your like me, shop around till you find something to replace it. then strip till you you run out of space and sell the rest. I bought a CA. car and luv it to death. 5er fest here I come.

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

Good pictures would really help out on this. Its not really the looks from afar that I would care about its how bad in the damage to the structure/strength of the car. Sounds like it still rolls down the road nice. Everybody goes for looks. But these cars are not the best looking of the bunch. Being an IS that ups the looks a bit. These cars are meant to be driven and they give you a great driving feel ugly or not.
    For a long time I drove an IS daily kinda smashed like this is but probably not as bad. I said when it gives me trouble I'll strip er down and get it crushed. I drove and drove and drove and the darn thing didn't give me a lick of trouble and my nice cars gave me more over time. Recently I pounded out the dent did some bondo magic and sanded and primed put a ol dinan turbo in and 2 weeks ago it went to the paint shop to be painted yellow from white just becasue I wanted a yellow 535is and since its an ol wrecked car changing the color really doesn't effect its worth.
    Figure out what wrong check for water leaks and then decide. Just because it ugly is no reason to crush it.

DeepPurpleFan

Yes | No

Thanks to all who responded!

gomamma, I posted it on CL, see pics there.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/1109891951.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 171309 gomamma is an unknown quantity at this point gomamma's Avatar

Yes | No

WHOA there buddy. A lot of people dismiss this butt sagging issue as a total loss. Go to some body shops that have a frame straightening machine and ask how much to stretch it. Use that term "stretch it" So they think your in the biz and nobody's fool. Last 6 series I got with that prob it was only 300 bucks from my frame guy. And it looked pretty good without paint. The back door to rear quarter is close but not so bad not to even try this. If you do this you will be amazed what that frame machine can do..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information