+ Reply to Thread
    rjfink

Yes | No

Aux fan problem - nothing in archives

Well, I have a classic aux fan not functioning. I have gone through, what I believe, everything possible on this vehicle. There is no power going to the fan, which I discovered after succesfully jumping the fan on both speeds manually. Checked the resistance on the wiring, wiring checks out. Tested all 4 fuses, they all check out. Tested both relays. After realizing that I had overlooked the temp switch, I disconnected it and jumped the harness. Much to my suprise, the fan comes on at both speeds. So I replace the sensor with a brand new OEM. Nothing. How is this possible? What am I missing? I'm bout to drive this thing off a f***ing cliff.

Thank you ahead of time.

Alian

Yes | No

Re: Aux fan problem - nothing in archives

www.e38.org didnt have the solution?
    Mine was relays, when my aux didnt work.

While I was in there I changed the electric motor too because it was so rusted.

Maybe it's a relay (as in the fuse box)?

If your car is older than a '98 you may need reprogramming at the dealership.

what is your year?

rjfink

Yes | No

Re: Aux fan problem - nothing in archives

Sorry, it's a 98. And I did find something odd after I posted last. After getting ready to do a Ferris Bueller on the car, I grabbed the fan switch and realized it was cold, as was that side of the radiator, AND the lower radiator hose. The car was showing full operating temperature. I've decided that this is most likely a stuck thermostat, and that the switch isn't closing simply because no hot coolant is getting to it. I will post if my solution works.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information