+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

asarine

Yes | No

Re: Gear grindage when I downshift

I recently had my entire clutch replaced. It has probably 15,000 miles on it. Anyway, this was going on before I had the clutch replaced and still persists. When I downshift from 4th to 3rd, the gears grind. This happens only on downshift. I'm not doing any double pumping or rev matching. Once I've driven the car for about 20 minutes, the gear grinding goes away. Is this a transmission fluid issue or a hardware problem? My shop replaced the clutch with a Sachs clutch. Thanks for your help!

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

If it's only happening when U are engaging one gear (3rd) and it goes away when everything is warmed up, then it sounds like your 3rd gear synchro is getting weak, but maybe you can baby it along by trying a different lubricant. I would call Turner Motosports and ask them for advice on which lube, either RedLine MTL or Redline D4 ATF to address your specific problem in your climate.

Also check the fluid level in the tranny. With age, the seals on the shifter shafts tend to leak and lower the level of oil in the box, which is never a good thing.

Double-clutching and rev-matching avoid a lot of the wear on the synchros. If U start doing it now, it prolongs the ultimate failure of your synchros.
    '01 325it Steel Blu./Blk
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

asarine

Yes | No

Thanks for the reply!! I've actually tried something new. I've shifting between 3500-4000 RPMS in gears 1-4. I've not had the problem in the last few days. I'm still going to try switching to a new fluid...a Redline product. I'll definitely call TMS before I do it. BTW, I love that website. Wow. I even ordered some stuff already!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information